no heat from gas dryer

Old 03-21-01, 08:25 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Hello Tom
I have an 8 year old GE gas dryer which does not heat at all. My wife tells me it has been progressivly failing over the last month - less heat - until now it has quit. I've replaced the igniter - no help. I've checked the two temp sensors - both are closed. I expected that may have failed open but that is not the case - but they may be failed anyway. I'm somewhat interested in getting o the bottom of this one but am at a loss.

Thanks for reading

Matt

Old 03-22-01, 07:55 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb Restricted Exhaust Vent

Hi: Matt

Hello and welcome Matt to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances forum.

I think you have said the magic words here. Something to the effect of a loss of heat over a period of time.

First place I would suggest you start is with the exhaust vent. It most likely could be restricted with excessive lint. Also check the outside vent hood. be sure the hoods flapper door flaps freely.

it's okay to remove the exhaust tubing from the back of the dryer and test it once with a load of clothes. If the problem is gone and the clothes dry correctly, the exhaust vent is clogged up.

While the dryer is running, the force of the exhausting warm air should be fairly strong. This would indicate a correctly operating fan blower.

Clean out all lint from within the cabinet of the dryer also. May as well perform this doityourself task while your doing this task too.

Check within the archives of this forum on the topic of dryers for more information on this condition and correction methods.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: