Gas Range/Over makes whining noise

Old 12-24-14, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas Range/Over makes whining noise

I have a Kenmore Gas Oven/Range (not sure the age I just moved in the house.) When I have one burner running it will sometimes make a whining noise. If I turn a second burner on the noise will go away. As soon as a I turn the second burner back off the noise comes back. Also if one burner and the over is on, and the oven is on, when the oven goes to fire up to heat, the noise will go away, but I have not noticed the problem with just the oven on. Some reading I have done the problem looks like it points to the gas regulator? Any advice on confirming this or more troubleshooting? Or does it sound like something else? Also is there an easy way to identify the model number on a kenmore? Is this oven safe to use in the meantime?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-14, 07:50 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello jmsprang and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and the Gas Appliances topic.

Is the noise isolated to one specific burner or any one single burner? If it's just one specific burner, more then likely on that one burner the air shutter needs a minor adjustment. Ever slightly closing it will richen up the fuel to air ratio and eliminate the noise.

If the noise happens when any one burner is on, might be the regulator. A test would be to notice if the flames decrease in size as more burners are turned on. Indicates the regulator has a restriction to allow enough gas to flow to maintain multiple burners. Rare condition but can happen.

Kindly advise fuel type. Natural or propane? More info requested below if possible.

Manufactures info plate may be located on back of appliance, under top lid below top burners or somewhere in the oven/broiler compartment. Once located, kindly provide the model number and serial numbers too. Thanks.

Old 12-25-14, 08:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 370 Votes on 347 Posts
If your range has a pull out drawer on the bottom.... pull out the drawer and look in the upper left corner for the ID plate.