Wedgewood Oven won't turn on after gas shutoff

Old 12-31-14, 07:24 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wedgewood Oven won't turn on after gas shutoff

Just bought a house with an old wedgewood stove. It's four burners, a griddle in the middle, an oven on the right, and a broiler on the left. Overall it's in great shape cosmetically.

The oven never worked great; the first time we tried it, our frozen lasagna was still cold after an hour. At the time, we blamed it on not being well calibrated. Then we turned off the gas for something else, and now the oven just won't turn on at all. I've relit all the pilots, and held down the red safety switches under the burners forever, but nothing's doing with the oven. All four burners work great, the griddle works great, the broiler works great, the oven lights right up when the door is open, but the burner below the oven just won't ever light!

I've played with the red safety switch; held it down for a couple minutes with the oven thermostat on, but still nothing happens. Double and triple checked that the pilot is lit. Still nothing. I've read online about making sure the oven is set to manual mode, but I don't have any dials with any letters on my clock or the front of the oven other than what I'm trying. Trying to attach a photo, please pardon the mess.

If anybody can point me to how to engage manual mode or otherwise troubleshoot this, I'd appreciate it! Really want to be able to use the oven.

Name:  20141230_190049.jpg
Views: 2778
Size:  21.8 KB

Old 12-31-14, 07:54 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Typically the problem is a dirty pilot. Take a look and see if the flame is yellow and not striking the thermocouple. Of course the safety may have failed. I've worked on those for many years and seldom was the safety the problem. I see a clock but can't see the detail. Does it have a small knob that you can rotate to the "manual" setting?

Old 12-31-14, 08:27 PM
J
Hi mbk3,

Thanks for the reply. I don't see any yellow in the pilot:
Name:  PilotFlame.jpg
Views: 1821
Size:  30.4 KB

...and it appears to be striking the thermocouple just fine:
Name:  Thermocouple.jpg
Views: 2481
Size:  51.0 KB

The clock, as far as I can tell, has no labels whatsoever. It doesn't work, so I don't quite know what all the knobs do. The left-most one seems to set the clock... the right-most one seems to start a buzzer... and the bottom one has distinct settings, but I don't know what it does:
Name:  ClockDetail.jpg
Views: 1848
Size:  25.4 KB

Attached Images  
Old 12-31-14, 11:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,344 Votes on 1,242 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

One knob sets the time. One knob sets what looks like a second hand but is the timer.
The third knob, on the bottom, looks to be missing a pointer and may be the oven control.

Old 01-01-15, 10:30 AM
M
To check if the thermocouple is holding the safety open, unscrew the thermocouple from the safety and listen for an audible noise when the magnet in the safety is de energized. The pilot flame appears weak. Try and blow thru the primary air opening just below the mounting bracket. You see the brass piece above the tubing nut, you may have to rotate it to expose the hole. Some pilots you can tap on and clear them, don't do it with this style unless you know how to clear the orifice. You have a fifty fifty chance it will clear or plug. Lol actually after taking a second look at the pilot it does look small because the orifice is restricted. You can tell by the sharp line around the outer portion. That indicates the pressure is there but can get thru the orifice. I believe at this point it will be pilot related, I hope. Try and rotate the bottom knob with the thermostat on. Forgive me for not remembering which knob it is.

Old 01-01-15, 12:00 PM
J
PJmax, I think you're right about the missing pointer. I'm guessing someone switched the knobs along the way, since the knob on the right has a pointer...

Any thoughts on what the settings do? Which one would be "oven goes as long as it's turned on"?

Old 01-01-15, 12:04 PM
J
sorry, mbk3, but I didn't understand most of that... and to me it seems prudent not to mess with gas until I'm a little more comfortable with what I'm doing.

What are you suggesting about the pilot? Can you give me a bit more of a step-by-step, and explaining as though I truly have no idea what I'm doing?

Old 01-01-15, 12:35 PM
M
Try unscrewing the thermocouple from the safety and listen for a noise. The safety will close if the thermocouple is energized and holding the safety open.

Old 01-01-15, 12:36 PM
J
Hi PJmax,

I think your suggestion got me in the right direction. Thank you for that! I switched the knobs, pointed the dial at 3, turned on the oven, and it lit! Would love to find a manual to understand what exactly is supposed to be going on, but for now I'm cooking! Awesome!

Old 01-01-15, 01:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,344 Votes on 1,242 Posts
If you can find a model number we may be able to locate a manual.

Old 01-01-15, 06:29 PM
M
Google antiquegasstoves.com and antique stoves.com for some good info

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: