Raised Gas Water Heater

Old 03-27-01, 04:14 PM
Visiting Guest
I have a gas water heater located in a closed and mounted on a wooden stand so it rests above a return air duct. There is nowhere else to put this water heater. I want to get the tank replaced but when the contractor came out he said that the wood stand the heater sits on is against code and I would have to spend $220 to have a metal stand made to fit in this awkward spot. He said the wood is a combustable material and is not allowed for use to support the water heater. The current water heater has been there for 20+ years.

Old 03-27-01, 06:33 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi: Kathy

Hello and welcome Kathy to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances forum.

Excellent Question...

Depending on several factors, the contractor may be correct. It all depends on exactly where this closet is located. Another factor may be the cities building and safety codes in your area.

If the closet already has fire break walls but the water heater platforum is wooden, meeting the codes from years prior, it may not meet the current codes.

Many cities have deleted the "grandfather clause" from the codes. Which means all new construction and any replacement of an existing gas appliance must meet the new codes.

The fastest and most positive way to verify this information, is to stop in at or make a phone call to, the local building and safety department, in you town or city.

BTW: {By The Way}

All stands are built to meet the current codes. You can price and or buy the water heater stand yourself, at any retail hardware store. {Most likely for a lot less}

HINT:

If you do purchase a stand, advise the plumber that the tank can be installed and you already have the stand. Be sure to get a revised estimate prior to installation.

Suggestion:

Buy the safety support straps also, for your own peace of mind. The straps will support the tank from tipping over. The kit comes with full instructions and is a excellent DoItYourself project....

BTW:
Suggestion #2 is "Edited Part," which I forgot to include.

Suggestion #2

If the flooring is made of wood and it too doesn't meet the current code, ask the safety department if covering it with sheet metal will allow it to meet code. If so, measure the size and take the demensions to any local sheet metal shop.

Have the shop cut you a sheet to fit. You can install this by drilling some holes in it and screwing it down yourself, prior to the tanks installation....

[Edited by Tom_Bartco on 03-27-01 at 08:47]

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: