gas oven

Old 03-30-01, 10:19 AM
Visiting Guest
I have a "Magic Chief" gas oven/stove. Mod.#(31-FA-7) Serial No.#(41C018507147). The stove top works fine! The oven works fine when it finally ignites! It has a pilot light. It takes about one and a half to two minutes before the burners in the oven ignite, It use to ignite within 30 or so seconds,It`s getting worse... What do I have to clean or replace? Thank-You.

Old 03-30-01, 06:56 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello and welcome David to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliance forum.

Thanks for posting a well defined problem discription.
You mentioned the oven has a pilot lite and takes a long time to open the gas valve.

What this means to me, is your oven has one of two varieties of safety elements. Whichever, type it has it could mean it either is dirty, weak, the pilot flame isn't hot enough to heat it correctly, or the element is not correctly lined up to the pilot flame.

Most likely the element is just dirty. The pilot flame will cause the metal of the safety element to corrode. Usually a steel wool pad will clean it.

Clean it very carefully and not a hard or long rubing. The trick is to clean it without causing further surface damage. Once completed, the part should allow the oven to work.

The pilot flame must be clear of all lint and dust. It must be all blue and burning hot. The element must be directly with the pilot flame.

If not, the element and or gas valve could be going bad. These could be tested at the local appliance parts store. Check the archives within this forum for lots more information on this topic.

Old 04-02-01, 01:07 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile Thank you Tom Bartco

Tom I can`t thank you enough! I did what you said (cleaned the element)and it works great!!! Now my wife is off my back. Thanks again, David Roberts

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: