Whirlpool gas oven burner has sections that constantly go out and relight

Old 05-18-15, 12:19 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool gas oven burner has sections that constantly go out and relight

We just got our first house and are already having issues with the existing appliances. The gas oven was taking FOREVER to heat up and was constantly cycling on and off, not to mention the gas smell that we were getting during preheating. I just replaced the glow igniter and now it preheats faster and does not cycle on and off, but we are still getting a strong gas smell during preheating. Watching the burner, there are sections in the middle on both sides where the flames will go out and light back up pretty frequently. It's not the whole burner, just these sections. I'm pretty sure this is giving us the gas smell, but not sure what the cause could be. Any suggestions?

Old 05-18-15, 03:14 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
The burner maybe partially clogged & there also could be a leak somewhere before it reaches the burner.

Old 05-19-15, 10:10 AM
M
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Make sure there is no aluminum foil on the rack. If foil covers entire rack it impedes the venting process and can/will cause the flame to roll and seek combustion air.

Old 05-19-15, 11:48 AM
E
How is the flame color? When the flames go out do they get small and go out or do the push away from the burner.

If they get small and go out you're not getting enough gas and that's probably due to blockage or a leak, if there they seem to blow away from the burner thats usually too much air in the mix.

When you turn it on does the gas light as soon as the valve opens?

Also what Mbk3 said, check the ventilation. Remember that gas appliances need a way to get oxygen and a way to release the combustion gasses.

Old 05-19-15, 12:09 PM
A
The flame color looks good, mostly blue with just an occasional flicker of orange. When the flame goes out, the flames seem to push out away from the burner, rather than shrinking. When I replaced the igniter, I did the best I could to clean out the burner with a toothbrush, but there really didn't seem like that much ash or char on the burner. If there is too much air in the mix, how do I fix that?

Old 05-19-15, 12:12 PM
A
Also, the gas lights immediately when you hear the solenoid click open, so I think the issue is definitely with uncombusted gas leaving the burner when the flame goes out.

Old 05-19-15, 02:29 PM
E
There is an air restrictor somewhere on the burner which allows you to choose how much air is in the primary air mix its usually a piece of metal which covers, in some degree a hole in the burner tube.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: