Gas range built in downdraft vent leaking into cabinet

Reply

  #1  
Old 07-04-15, 01:55 PM
D
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas range built in downdraft vent leaking into cabinet

Hi-

Happy 4th of July! I hope this is in the right place. I recently purchased a home that has a Jenn Air gas range with a built in downdraft vent. We noticed a musty odor in the cabinet under it, and that our spice racks (in pull out drawers adjacent to under the range) often had condensation on them. As I look closely, the duct work connecting to the downdraft vent is "sealed" with masking tape, which is loose and lets the vent moisture exhaust into the cabinet.

Can you tell me how I should better seal the vent? I have searched around, and I have seen things that just say to use duct tape, but others that suggest solutions like mastic covered by some type of stainless steel ducting tape.

Thank you.
Don
 
  #2  
Old 07-04-15, 01:59 PM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 39,964
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Duct mastic will seal the joints almost perfectly. It is messy and you can only buy too much. I would consider good duct aluminum tape meant for ducts, not the cloth type. Are the joints screwed or riveted together? Nashua Tape 2-1/2 in. x 60 yd. 324-Amp Premium Cold Weather UL Listed HVAC Foil Tape-1207794 - The Home Depot
 
  #3  
Old 07-04-15, 02:15 PM
Handyone's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: U.S.
Posts: 5,450
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yeah, The tape Larry references is best. Skip the mastic.

Just wanted to add that I've removed many of these to make way for new down drafts.
One problem you might have is that the duct was never installed very good in the first place. Almost always, the duct was formed on site, rather it be a box-type plenum or some other way to "make it work".
If it looks like your duct is reasonably aligned with no huge gaps, tape it up and you'll be good.
Only alternative is to fabricate a new transition piece from the cook top to the duct.
 
  #4  
Old 07-04-15, 02:25 PM
D
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
More Information...

Hi, In response to your question, "are the joints screwed or riveted together," the answer is, "no." Attached are a couple pictures. It looks to me like the duct blower has a 4.5" square opening and some round exhaust pipes are just slopped together and taped (I removed the masking tape that connected the fan and the top vent.

A couple questions:

- Should there be an "adapter" that converts from the 4.5" square opening in this vent to the 6" diameter round piping that goes out? Any chance there could be a flexible one, given the tight fit?
- It sounds like I should screw the ducting together before using mastic and aluminum tape?

I tried to upload pictures, but it said they failed. So here they are from my Dropbox account:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u58243h1fq...11.41.jpg?dl=0
Name:  vent 1.jpg
Views: 2031
Size:  33.4 KB

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kcnjqlesn6...12.02.jpg?dl=0
Name:  vent 2.jpg
Views: 1455
Size:  27.0 KB

Thank you for your help!
 

Last edited by PJmax; 07-04-15 at 02:39 PM. Reason: inserted pics from links
  #5  
Old 07-04-15, 02:40 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 61,483
Received 1,421 Votes on 1,314 Posts
Your pictures are way too big from the phone to post directly on the board.
 
  #6  
Old 07-04-15, 03:12 PM
P
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 24,754
Received 791 Votes on 728 Posts
Yes, there should be an adapter to go from square to round. If you try to seal the gaps with tape or mastic get some mineral spirits, lacquer thinner or MEK and clean the area first to remove the grease & oil so the tape will stick.
 
  #7  
Old 07-04-15, 06:15 PM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 39,964
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Yep, that was a hack job, sorry to say. Do clean it well and tape it up. You'll be fine.

Looks like the one I have in my basement for canning. A client didn't like theirs and asked me to replace it and throw away the old one......JennAir....no thank you. I found out all that was wrong was it was missing 3 of the venturi. Ordered a set for $12 and it works flawlessly.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: