Jenn-Air downdraft exhaust fan leaking grease

Old 08-04-15, 08:12 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Jenn-Air downdraft exhaust fan leaking grease

So, I posted a little while ago how I noticed grease was pooling around the foot of my < 3 year old Jenn Air Downdraft gas range. Someone suggested cleaning the filter in the downdraft vent. I did that--still leaking. I thought maybe some pics might help show what I am dealing with. I started by popping the face plate off the bottom of the range. Its a Jenn-Air model JDS9860

Here, you see the grease cup location, which I expected to see overflowing (it was completely clean-- like the grease never made it to the cup):

Here you can see the cup removed, where the grease line runs in to the cup (completely clean, its not that the line isnt aligned with the cup, its like grease isnt coming thru it at all?

Looking to right of the grease cup, still on that left side of the range. This is the rail that the feet are bolted to in the front. The darker part is all the grease on the rail:

Here you can see the grease pooling under the foot where the foot bolts to that rail:

So what am I missing here? I cleaned the down draft vent out. I didnt feel any grease on the hose for the vent under the range. I see this grease in that bottom track, but not in the cup. I was running the oven this time, as opposed to the range on top--not sure if that makes a difference. I pulled the removable burner cartridge to see if there was grease under there, and that was immaculate. Not sure where all this grease is coming from! Time to call appliance repair?

Could it be an oil leak? Maybe its not 'grease' but mechanical oil? Certainly looked like new oil as opposed to rancid grease...

Old 08-04-15, 05:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
It must be at the other end of the tube, maybe a collection funnel of sorts. Can you gain access to that area?

Old 08-05-15, 10:08 AM
S
I'll have to look a little more deeply. Everything seems to be sealed units on this. I did get access to the collection point for the burners on the left side. That was bone dry--no oil in there.

I may have to come at it from underneath.

Old 08-12-15, 02:26 PM
S
as a follow up:

Appliance shop wanted to send someone out for $125 before parts & labor for any work done. I said no thanks.

I called in a local guy I used before: he was $30 to check it out. Turns out grease is coming in via the down draft and leaking at the connection under the oven (where the internal downdraft 'hose' connects to the fitting mating it to the external vent tube)

our solution (for now) is to keep a rag under there and clean it occasionally

I am going to call Jen Air to see what they suggest. I dont want to start banging around under there for such a minor issue

Old 08-12-15, 06:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,403 Votes on 1,298 Posts
Thanks for leaving us an update.
I've serviced those units before but haven't run into the grease problem yet

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: