Gas oven keeps igniting gas

Old 08-07-15, 10:06 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas oven keeps igniting gas

I recently moved into a new place with a gas stove.
When you use the oven, after about 5 minutes of pre heating, you hear the "WHOOSH" ignitor sound again and then that sound happens about every minute or so for the duration of cooking.

Cooking seems to be ok. I haven't noticed that cooking is uneven.

We told our land lady about this issue and some other random issues that were related to leaky faucets. She sent a handyman over and he told her the oven was fine and that is what it is supposed to do. But I know it's not right.

Now, I am a very handy person and when I owned a house, I fixed a lot of things myself (thanks dad for showing me how!), but I pay rent to my landlady so she needs to fix things. Plus, I don't really feel comfortable messing around with something that can blow me up.

Am I right in my assumption that the ignitor for the oven is probably bad? The burners on the stove top work fine.

How can I convince my landlady this is not right? I feel like she won't fix it unless I tell her that when we use the oven, there is a strong smell of gas or something that sounds "dangerous". I thought about taking a video so she can hear the whoosh noise and posting it and letting "experts" weigh in.

Old 08-07-15, 10:38 AM
Received 315 Votes on 283 Posts
Call the manufacturer and ask them if the oven ignition should start and stop that often. It's doing that because it's maintaining the temp. It sounds excessive but it could be normal. Give us the make and model of the unit. It could also be a bad sensor or thermocouple. Do you in fact smell gas? If not don't use that as a leverage.

Old 08-08-15, 12:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,404 Votes on 1,299 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That is a classic problem attributed to a weak/defective igniter. The igniter heats to a certain point and the gas valve opens. If the igniter is weakening then the gas valve is not remaining open and is, in fact, closing prematurely causing short cycling.

If you post the make and model number I could offer additional information. You could pass it on to your landlady as her handyman could certainly change the part.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: