Gas Dryer won't heat - intermittent noise

Old 09-03-15, 08:18 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas Dryer won't heat - intermittent noise

I start the dryer and it runs for about 10 seconds and then makes a vibrating noise for about a minute. This repeats (10 seconds no noise, one minute noise).

Here is the noise:
http://youtu.be/XlF-EGWWxgs

I replaced the solenoids and was going to do the valve assembly next, but wanted to check here before throwing more parts at it.

I opened up the front and ran it to get a better look. See here:
http://youtu.be/PdfyXPoyb0Y

The flame looks to not be very high.

Old 09-03-15, 01:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,406 Votes on 1,301 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

What's the model number of the dryer ?
Are you running on nat gas or propane ?
How long does the burner stay lit ?
If you are drying clothes.... it should stay lit for 5-10 minutes before cycling.

I didn't hear actual buzzing in second video. Hear something rubbing in the tub.
The flame for a dryer doesn't get real big. It's not necessary.

Old 09-03-15, 02:30 PM
C
Model is Kenmore 417.93142300 natural gas. I didn't witness how long the burner stays lit, but it seems the noise corresponds to it - so 50-60 seconds.

I should say that a previous dryer wouldn't heat and so I installed this one (I've had it in my garage for ~2 years and got it second hand). I wonder if there is a blockage in the vent pipe preventing air flow - no heat. Can't explain the noise in the first video though. Can the motor get bound for improper air flow?

Old 09-03-15, 03:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Sounds like a clogged vent, Take vent off back of dryer and try it. If runs and heats ok than you need to clean or repair vent to outside. If there is a birdcage on outside vent clean that first. Noise is most likely gas lighting. Usually it vent cloggrd will heat for a couple of minutes when first started than time of heat will go down.

Old 09-03-15, 04:16 PM
C
So that noise is normal? It seems really bad.

Old 09-03-15, 04:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,406 Votes on 1,301 Posts
I wouldn't say the noise is normal but from the video I can't tell what it is.
Can you tell when you have the access door open where it's coming from ?
You can disable the burner by just disconnecting the plug in the two wire harness.

Old 09-04-15, 04:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sorry didn't see links yesterday, sounds like coins in fins. Can't see in drum to see if plastic bolt in fin or not. If plastic 2 or 3 screws to take off and clean coins and lint out of fins.

Old 09-04-15, 07:05 PM
C
I took off the vent hose and it is blowing plenty of air, just cold. There is a back vent (I guess for air intake) and I can see the flame not burning very long. I'm guessing there is blockage between the burner and blower but can't find it.

Old 09-04-15, 07:37 PM
C
I also think I found the noise. It wouldn't do it with the lid up so I think the lid was vibrating.

Old 09-04-15, 07:47 PM
C
Here is the video with the back vent off. The igniter glows about every 30 seconds. The second time it seems to ignite, but not for very long. It's like it is starved for oxygen?

http://youtu.be/SyYpt6ri-L4

Old 09-05-15, 05:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Was the vent tube off when you took video? looks like a clogged vent to outside, That is the way they act. Did it ever heat with vent off? I question about vent a lot because 95% of all dryer problems start there. It looks like the burner is lighting, leave vent tube off several minutes with dryer running to see if heats right. If you have a thermometer vent temp. should be around 165 and cycle down to about 100 than back up to the 165, If you connect vent and temp does not go up and down in same range than clogged vent.

Old 09-05-15, 07:01 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts

Chuck. More then several issues going here but nothing conclusive. Let's stick to the no heat issue for now. Put aside the noise issue for now. Seems it might be the lid as you mentioned. Okay put that aside for now too. Let's also put aside the lack of oxygen. That's not it either. Let's work on the venting issue.

Based upon what I am reading, you removed the vent. Air flow out of dryer okay but did not mention checking vent tubing to be sure it is not clogged or restricted. Has to be done first.

I have no idea what a birdcage in the vent line is..... However there is a flapper inside the exhaust hood which is located outside. You must be sure that internal hood flapper is not stuck shut or not fully opening. It must be able to open and close freely. Check flapper door and the vent line and post back those results without adding anything new different, etc. else to the post.

Next area to be checked is the birdcage or squirrel cage blower located inside the dryers compartment. It's attached to one end of the motor shaft. Must be cleaned and clear of link and not wobble on the motors shaft. Any wobble or free play of the cage on motor shaft reduces air flow, makes or could make noises etc. This also must be verified and results noted. Posting back the results excluding any other issues.

Diagnostics is a step by step procedure. Testing one aspect at a time before moving on or adding in other possible causes.

Old 09-05-15, 07:05 AM
C
Yes, the vent tube is off during the video. A lot of air comes out the back, it's just cold.

Old 09-05-15, 07:09 AM
C
I'm wondering how the blower can blow air not coming through the drum. Here is the picture of the front door that seals around the blower. Could it be it is a bad leak and sucks air through here and not the drum/burner?

- Album on Imgur

Old 09-05-15, 11:49 AM
Admin Emeritus
Chuck

You did not answer the question:

"...but did not mention checking vent tubing to be sure it is not clogged or restricted. Has to be done first."

Lots of air out back of dryer. That you mentioned and we know. Once again. Vent tubing has to be checked and confirmed it is not restricted or clogged up etc. Vent hood flap condition as noted above.

Can't help you if you do not help us. If air is coming out the discharge vent in back of dryer....IT IS coming through the drum! No need to wonder about unnecessary details.

You're #14 above at this point in the diagnostic is irrelevant. We are not there yet.

Old 09-05-15, 12:26 PM
C
what is vent tubing? I thought it was the tube that goes from the dryer to the outside. If the dryer is blowing air without tubing attached but not hot, the problem cannot be with the vent tubing, right?

do you mean tubing internal to the dryer?

Old 09-05-15, 03:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I see a flame in video so there should be some heat coming out back of dryer. Did you take temps of air coming out of dryer yet? Birdcage is in exit of vent on outside if it has one, usually a flapper or a cage over the exit. Vent tubing starts at back of dryer and continues to outside.

Old 09-05-15, 07:54 PM
Admin Emeritus
I thought it was the tube that goes from the dryer to the outside.
Yes you're right. It is. That's the vent tube or ducting.

Vent tube is the exhaust tube that is attached to dryer and extends to the outside vent hood. You claim you already removed it but did not mention checking it for restrictions or clogs and if the internal flapper valve inside the hood is free to open and close.

do you mean tubing internal to the dryer?
No.

You're statement:
I replaced the solenoids and was going to do the valve assembly next, but wanted to check here before throwing more parts at it.
If you already replaced the solenoids to no avail then it just might be the gas valve the solenoids sit on. Could be an internal short or bad contacts etc. Does not really matter. It's a non repairable part. Replacement then is the only option. Good Luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: