Hooking up gas range


Old 09-03-15, 08:24 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hooking up gas range

Just moved and attempting to hook up a gas range. First time attempting something of this nature and I'm not sure which part of the gas line it should hook into. Should I detach the end cap and put it in there or attach to the midsection where the valve is?

Thanks in advance!

Name:  20150809_180732773_iOS.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  33.9 KB
Old 09-03-15, 09:05 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 10,982
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It gets attached at the end of the pipe. Then turn the valve 1/4 turn.
Old 09-03-15, 09:10 PM
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 3,138
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Remove the cap and attach there. You will need an adaptor between the pipe and flex line to the range; they often come with the flex line. Make sure to clean the threads well and remove any paint and old pipe dope. You will need a sealant, either yellow Teflon tape (not white) or something like Rectorseal. After you turn the gas on at the valve, check for leaks at all the joints with a mixture of water and dishwashing detergent; wipe it on the joint and look for bubbles.
Old 09-03-15, 11:42 PM
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wet side of Washington state.
Posts: 18,495
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
I strongly suggest that you replace the valve with a new AGA (American Gas Association) listed valve. Those old plugcocks are prone to leakage.
Old 09-04-15, 08:06 AM
Sharp Advice's Avatar
Admin Emeritus
Join Date: Feb 1998
Location: The Shake and Bake State USA
Posts: 10,398
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello preout. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Compliments for mentioning never having done this type of work before. Knowing that helps us to better provide you with safe and sound DIY advice.

Yes. It's true the old style shut off valve needs to be or should be replaced. But be fore warned the valve cannot be removed before the entire gas supply to the house is turned off! Failure to due so will result in gas coming out uncontrolled. Not a safe procedure for any DIY situation.

Since you're unfamiliar with gas work, might be best to either leave the valve installed, not the best situation, or find someone whom has safely done this type of work before and is familiar with both turning the gas off and then turning it back on then relighting any other gas appliances in the system.

Your choice. Be safe.
Old 09-04-15, 10:52 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks so much for the info. I'm a renter, working with a difficult landlord (my stay here won't be too long) so I doubt I'll be able to get them to replace the valve.
Old 09-04-15, 11:57 AM
Handyone's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: U.S.
Posts: 5,450
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you purchased the new range from a major retailer, call them and ask about installation. It's usually not that much, they profit from sales. They won't swap out the valve, but at least you know you have a safe install.
If they charge too much, remind them you purchased your appliance there and are at liberty to return it at their expense. I would say $75 would be a fair price for install, plus the cost of a flex line.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: