Gas stove has some burners that wont spark (pics).

Old 09-13-15, 12:39 AM
T
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Gas stove has some burners that wont spark (pics).

The gas is not turned on to this stove at the moment. I was testing to make sure all the burners spark, but two will not. I removed the stove top and switched the leads from a non-sparking burner and a sparking burner. Both wires would spark on one burner, but would not spark on the other burner.

On the burner that wouldn't spark, i used sandpaper to try and clean the contacts, but it still wouldn't spark.

Any ideas of what might be going on here? Does it need to be cleaned more? Could the burner (or whatever it's called) be bad?

[Pic of the wire that i switched between burners]

[Pic of the spark module, if it helps]

This is a tappan brand stove.

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-15, 05:13 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Did you switch the igniters or just the wires?

Old 09-13-15, 10:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,109 Votes on 1,029 Posts
He switched wires on the igniter....... good move.

The igniter didn't work with either working HV wire. It could be a cracked/defective igniter. They are replaceable.

Make sure you have the burner caps on when checking spark. If you look at the area I highlighted in yellow..... without the burner cap the spark gap is too large and you may get random sparks at random locations.

Name:  burner.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  26.2 KB

Old 09-13-15, 10:07 PM
T
Thanks PJ. That tip helped me troubleshoot, because i had no idea the cap needed to be on for a proper spark, and it did make a noticeable difference when i used it.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ok, well after I poked around and scrubbed some stuff, and switched some burners around, here is what i ended up with:

With everything hooked up, 3 burners were sparking very weakly, and one burner was doing nothing. Took the lead off of the bad burner, and touched the wire to the stove, and the other three started sparking very strong. So i guess there was a ground issue or something. I scrubbed the bad burner as good as i could on top and bottom, and then hooked the wire back up.

Now the other 3 burners spark very strong, but that burner still does nothing. For a little while it was also sparking intermittently, but it stopped and wouldn't start again.

So, maybe there was a grounding issue with that burner which was affecting the rest, and maybe it also has an issue with the igniter or something since it still wont work?

My question has to do with how i can unhook this burner from the gas line to test/replace. The other 3 burners swivel freely on the gas line, and also slide off freely... is that normal?

Here is a video of what im talking about.

The bad burner seems locked in place on the gas line, and i cant figure out how to remove it. Also, the 1/2" copper nut on the gas line, as well as the burner itself, is very black compared to the other 3 burners... so maybe this is a sign that something screwy took place with this burner at one time?

Picture comparing the color of one of the working burners on the left, and the bad burner on the right.

So is the burner supposed to slide off the gas line like the other 3, or does it have to be loosened somehow? I tried turning the 1/2" copper nut, but it didn't want to budge. Just to test it, I tried turning the copper nut on the other burners after i had slid them off the line, but they didn't seem to want to budge either.

All the screws on this thing seem rusted in place and are these tiny tiny hex heads (4.5mm) or screw heads which seem to round off just by looking at them. In fact, to get the top off of the stupid thing i had to use an oscillating tool to cut the tops off of the three screws around each burner that held the top on. My face during the hour that took -->

Thanks again for any help!

Last edited by tiresharkdbb; 09-14-15 at 12:26 AM.
Old 09-13-15, 11:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,109 Votes on 1,029 Posts
The other 3 burners swivel freely on the gas line, and also slide off freely... is that normal?
They should fit snugly on the gas line. Normally you would either loosen the brass nut or unscrew it completely to remove the burners. You may have to spray the nuts with a rust penetrant to break them loose.

If the one burner won't spark it may be a shorted igniter. It could be cracked internally.

When the screws become rusted in place and the heads are gone it's time to start looking for a new appliance.

Old 09-14-15, 11:32 PM
T
Thanks PJ.

I found out why the burners were loose on the pipes... the pipes were supposed to have a flared end which would prevent the brass nut from being removed. The reason i couldn't slide that one burner off was because it was still like it should be, but on the other ones the flared end had broken off, which allowed the brass nut and burner to slide off freely.

Anyway, with a little elbow grease i got the brass nut loose on the bad burner, and was able to remove the burner from the stove.

Probably just going to pick up a new burner assembly, because the screw that holds the igniter in place is stripped out as well. I tried drilling it out, but I bit into the burner a little too much and made the screw hole too big. Was thinking about maybe just drilling all the way through the burner and then only buying an igniter and using a bolt/nut to secure it to the burner, but haven't decided yet. Didn't know if doing it that way might interfere with the grounding capability or something. I wouldn't think that it would, but i dont really know for sure.