Pilotless Igniter Stove does not click or light

Old 09-16-15, 10:27 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pilotless Igniter Stove does not click or light

As part of an old co-op unit that I purchased, I got an old stove in the kitchen. It is an Eagle Pilotless Igniter stove. I have no idea how old it is, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is from the 1980s...

Anyway, since I am rarely home it's not a big deal and it worked fine for things like boiling water and heating up food. But yesterday, after I turned off the electricity in the apt to work on the electrical outlet, the stove no longer lit.

When I turn the knob, I hear the gas rushing, but the normal click is gone. I can put a match near the gas tube and the stove top does light up.

What could be wrong and what is the fix? Is this a sign of a potentially dangerous defect?

Perhaps I should just get a new stove.

Thank you.

Attached Images   
Old 09-17-15, 07:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,406 Votes on 1,301 Posts
Did you turn the electric back on ? The spark module needs power to spark.
If you did turn the power back on..... what does the oven do ?

Old 09-18-15, 06:52 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts

Hello: Chuck

Not a dangerous nor hazardous condition nor defective condition, etc.

Key problem description:

after I turned off the electricity in the apt to work on the electrical outlet, the stove no longer lit.
Likely no power to the wall outlet. Test outlet using a known lamp that lights. No light? Power to outlet not on. Lamp lights? Power to outlet okay. Must test outlet first to be sure there is power there before suspecting a part failure, etc. Step by step diagnostic process must be done first.

Power at outlet. Be sure plug firmly pressed into outlet. Possible internal appliance fuse, if there is one, fuse blown. Fuse should be located inside spark module under it cover. Plug appliance plug out then remove spark module cover, if there is one. If there is a fuse, not all models have fuses, replace fuse with an exact duplicate appliance fuse.

Kindly use the reply button to post all replies, add additional information when replies are posted. Using this method moves and/or keeps the topic back up to the top of the list of questions automatically and keeps all content on the same subject within one thread.

Old 09-18-15, 07:51 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you! Yes the problem IS power. I verified that there is no power at the outlet.

Although I turn the power back on at the breaker box, I never tested the power at the kitchen because the kitchen light turned on. But on second thought the light and the outlets must be on different circuits.

As for the cause of power loss, I believe the cause may be this:

I was working on replacing a two-pronged old receptacle near the kitchen sink with a GFCI receptacle but am having problems with a loose wall box due to an overly large cut in the drywall that I need to figure out a way to secure first, so I had to stop after I cut the wires to the receptacle, pending additional work. I made a post here:
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...box-loose.html

This receptacle must be on the same circuit as the stove outlet, so cutting the wires there must have broken the circuit and caused this power outage.

Do you think this is it?

Old 09-18-15, 10:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,406 Votes on 1,301 Posts
This receptacle must be on the same circuit as the stove outlet, so cutting the wires there must have broken the circuit and caused this power outage.
Do you think this is it?
Could very well be the problem. If it isn't just let us know here and we'll go from there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: