Outdoor gas lantern gas shutoff problem

Old 09-17-15, 06:11 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outdoor gas lantern gas shutoff problem

I want to clean my outdoor Gas Lanterns (attached to the wall by entrance door) but cannot get the gas shutoff lever to budge. Tried WD40 and it still won't budge. Any suggestions?

Attached Images  
Old 09-17-15, 06:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,416 Votes on 1,310 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Very cool. I love gas fixtures.

Where is the shut off valve located that you can't budge ?
There should be one in the basement, if you have one, where that line connects to the gas service.

WD-40 is a moisture displacement lubricant. Not really the right stuff for the job. You need something like PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench which are designed to work their way in and eat corrosion.

Can you take and post a picture of the valve ? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 09-17-15, 06:21 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
There should be another valve somewhere, in the line.

Old 09-18-15, 06:17 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello overstjt and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and the Gas Appliances topic.

As I am looking closely at the photo it appears the lanterns shut off is at the base of the burner. Inside lantern. Behind glass panel. I suspect the shut off valve you're referring to. (???) ...Clarify. If you can't easily turn that one off, then you'll first have to turn off the main gas supply to both lanterns.

That valve should be or is likely to be on the main supply line to both lanterns. Valve will then be located inside basement if there is one or a smaller supply line at the gas meter or the line from a propane tank etc.

Once the main gas supply source is turned off, the cap nut holding lantern shut of valve needs to be carefully unscrewed off and removed. Then pull out valve core carefully noting it's present position. Clean core and inside valve body with WD40 is okay but only as a cleaner. Then lube valve only with a light grease sparingly. Not to much grease. Just a light coating on core.

Reinsert care valve exactly as it was upon removal and reinstall cap nut. Snug nut up gently until snug but not overly tight. Repeat process on the other light. Turn gas back on at main supply shut off and your done....

Old 09-18-15, 07:52 AM
O
Thank you for your response. Yes, the valve I am talking about is at the base of the burner. No propane, no basement. I'll try liquid wrench. Here are pictures of gas meter (don't see small line with separate cut off) and where gas comes out of house to lantern. Was trying to avoid cutting gas off to the entire house.

Attached Images   
Old 09-18-15, 08:42 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I still think that there is another valve even if it is buried in a wall or ceiling. What year was the house built?

Old 09-18-15, 09:55 AM
O
House is about 10 yrs. old.

Old 09-18-15, 06:37 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
House is about 10 yrs. old.
That could kill my theory especially if you are the original owner. lol

Old 09-19-15, 08:46 AM
O
Not the original owner. 2 owners before us.

Old 09-19-15, 01:13 PM
Group Moderator
We could use a close up picture of just the gas valve. If it does have a nut on it then it can be taken apart for cleaning like Sharp Advice recommended. That will mean that you will need to shut down the main gas valve in order to repair these valves.

The red arrow points to what should be a nut.

Name:  Gas Lantern.jpg
Views: 2372
Size:  17.4 KB

Old 09-19-15, 04:01 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Not the original owner. 2 owners before us.
My theory was that the gas valve was buried somewhere along the line during interior renovation. IMO, it would be stupid not to have a separate valve. Since the house is so new, the building dept may have plans, on file.

Old 09-20-15, 08:09 AM
Admin Emeritus

You mentioned lanterns. Plural. Implying there is two of them. Correct? Photo shows just one. Thinking out of the box, the supply line for the other lantern may have the main gas shut off valve. If there is even one in the line...

Shut off may be in the attic or space above ceiling. Might be worth a seek and find look. Also might depend upon what's on the other side of either lantern inside the house. Supply line may be tapped off a gas fireplace supply line, etc.

Lots of possibilities and plenty of speculations possible. Might not have been in the original house plans. Added during prior renovations and or remodels, etc. May not have been installed per code or no codes for a shut off valve in your state/area, etc. Bottom line, IMO as a multi year gas service rep wouldn't even bother looking for shut off valve, if none at meter, if called for service.

I would due the service live. No gas shutting off!......Not company policy mind you nor safe for a DIY person. Would remove aluminum tubes cap nut and pull out tube. Then use a small cap nut on the adapter which is screwed into the supply line. This method is referred to as quick and dirty and not in policy of company but it works!!!... 30 minute job and done & gone!...

Old 09-21-15, 07:33 PM
O
Thanks. 2 lanterns, one on each side of door. We'll wait till the weather is a little cooler, shut off gas at meter, clean lights, turn gas back on at meter and relight the pilot lights to the 2 hot water heaters. While in the attic will look for another shut off valve (have one to gas stove, gas dryer, gas fireplace, just haven't found one for lanterns except for the individual ones at the lights which are frozen.

Old 10-31-15, 10:43 PM
G

I have what looks like the exact same lantern. I need to replace the entire valve assembly. Does anyone know the lantern manufacturer or where I can order a duplicate replacement valve? Thanks

Old 11-01-15, 10:28 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello Goofbox52. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Looks like is not the same as exactly. Each manufacturer's burners not all the same. Best advice is to look for a manufactures plate or sticker. Which may be located inside behind one of the glass panels.

Might find there web site to order a new burner and or parts. Might need to visit a local patio fireplace retail store in your are and or a gas appliances retail parts store. Several possibilities but none easy to determine. Photo may be helpful to us moderators.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

Old 11-01-15, 10:50 AM
Group Moderator
You can search on google and find many that "look alike." Search for gas lantern porch lights.

Have you tried looking in your area for a place that sells or sells/services them as they are extremely popular and widely used there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: