LP stove flames too high

Old 09-19-15, 05:52 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
LP stove flames too high

I've searched a number of threads with similar titles, but didn't see an issue that resembles mine. Here goes:

Our stove is converted to LP - I've checked the regulator and the orifices on burners themselves and they are where they should be for LP. Here's the situation:

When I turn on the burner, I get a good 1.5 to 2 inch flame. As I turn the dial down, the flame doesn't recede at all until I get to the high end of Low, at which point it recedes very quickly to little blue nubs by the time I get it all the way down - any lower and I don't think the flame would hold.

Any suggestions on how to get a wider range of flame control on the Medium to High end of my dial? The issue is the same for all 4 burners (3 normal, 1 power).

(And yes, the power burner has a different orifice size than the other three.)

It's a whirlpool gas oven/ stove. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Old 09-19-15, 06:07 PM
W
Model Number WFG1143SWQ

Power Burner Spud: 96
Other three burner spuds: 88
Regulator Cap says "LP"

Old 09-19-15, 06:13 PM
W
https://youtu.be/m4pXFsTHBM0 A video description of the problem.

Old 09-19-15, 07:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,418 Votes on 1,311 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Although you may have not found similar complaints to yours..... they are there.
GE gas stoves come to mind.

Outside of changing the actual burner gas valves..... there is nothing I know of that you can do to change the span of the valve. That function is designed into the valve manufacturing. You can adjust the low setting but they seem to be set ok on your stove.

Sharp Advice is an administrator here and one of his specialties is gas appliances. Maybe he has another idea.

Old 09-20-15, 07:14 AM
W
Thanks - yeah, I'm sure if I dug deep enough, I'd come across something, but after seeing 8 or 9 responses where the issue was fixed by changing hte spuds or reversing the regulator cap, I got a little impatient.

Thanks for the response. I'll reach out to the manufacturer to see if they have any recommendations as well.

Old 09-20-15, 09:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,418 Votes on 1,311 Posts
You told us that the proper orifices for LP are installed and that the regulator was set to LP.
That would pretty much eliminate them from the equation.

Old 10-11-15, 09:16 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
He probably won't be back, but, remove knob and look for adjustment screw in center of the stem. If it is equipped with an adjustment that is most likely the problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: