Jenn Aire downdraft: eyes watering and nose burns

Old 09-21-15, 07:55 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Jenn Aire downdraft: eyes watering and nose burns

When using the oven, my wife gets these symptoms...even worse when broiling. The range is brand new and had a technician come out(under warranty) and said it was normal? Any thoughts?

Separated from... http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ga...hen-using.html

Last edited by PJmax; 09-21-15 at 10:37 PM. Reason: started new thread
Old 09-21-15, 10:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,399 Votes on 1,296 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I moved you to your own thread as the one you posted to was fairly old and these types of problems need to be addressed on a case by case basis.

I'm not an expert on Jenn-Air stoves..... some fumes are normal but it's not normal to be affected like that.

Is this appliance running on propane or natural gas ?
Can you observe the flames ?
Are they mostly blue in color or a lot of orange ?

Old 09-22-15, 08:12 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Tomavery and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and the Gas Appliances topic.

Condition described is not normal. You live in SC. Suggest you call the gas company, if using natural gas, and request in home free service. Number on the gas bill.

There are several possible causes that one needs to diagnose and then determine the cause. What you can due is remove everything from inside oven and broiler. No foil and no cooking stuff. Just the racks as appliance came from factory.

Possible the cause may be a result of stuff in oven or foil or to large a baking pan etc. in oven. Restricting air flow which causes smothering flames and odors etc. Look at flames if possible thru broiler door if the is a glass window pane. Flames must be all blue and base of flames remain on the burner. Flame size not to exceed flame spread plate. That's the metal plate directly above flames attached to top of burner.

I do not suggest you attempt repairs nor adjustments on a new appliance still under warranty. Nor using appliance until gas company rep services it and makes any needed adjusts to ensure proper operations. Once service rep resolves the issue(s) post back the results. Thanks.

Old 09-22-15, 09:03 AM
T
Thank you. If it helps, we're using Natural Gas and the range is brand new, with nothing inside of it like foil, etc. I actually live in Northern CA and when you say gas company...like PG&E in our case? Thanks for the thoughts, didn't think it was correct.

Old 09-22-15, 11:00 AM
Group Moderator
Yes.... your gas provider has their own service fleet. Those guys are well trained in gas related issues. Their prices are usually very fair, if they charge at all.

Call the number on the bill, explain the problem to them and go from there.

Old 09-23-15, 08:50 AM
T
Did that yesterday and they said everything is operating normally and the smell is normal. Their suggestion was to run the "fan" whenever the over/broiler was on? Now I've had a tech and gas provider check it out and all say it's fine. The flame is a nice blue color and it appears within the correct span of the shield. Any other suggestions? My wife told me last night that I guess I just need to leave the house whenever someone uses the oven ??

Old 09-23-15, 09:23 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Tom

?????...thinking...

Does the appliance have an exhaust fan in center between the top burners? If so, when fan is on the described condition sometimes appears. Reason unknown. Possible cause was a lack of fresh air coming in from outside. Powerful exhaust draws in lots of air to exhaust. Opening a kitchen window usually resolved the problem. Learned that trick on my own and I was passed it along to other company techs during training lessons.

Thinking outside the box sometimes helps....

That model does have that problem. Remembering that from several years ago before retiring from industry. If the center fan was on try turning it off when oven/broiler is on. And or open a nearby window and note results.

Hopefully we can resolve this problem for you. Still thinking of possible causes...

Old 09-24-15, 07:27 AM
T
Ok, definitely will try that. Ironically, I had a GE appliance repair guy come by yesterday to fix my broken diswasher, I asked him and he suggested it was just "burn in"...and to turn on the oven at 500 for a 1 to 1 1/2 hours as that will sometimes do the trick and that it's the "metalic" smell that comes with a brand new appliance that needs some burn in time. I did that yesterday and will try again to see if the odor is better. He suggested to "always" have the fan(yes its a center downdraft) to help with this. Now, I'll try it both way(with the fan on and without - and a window open) and note the diferences. Thanks for your help!!!

Old 09-24-15, 11:42 AM
Group Moderator
Also make sure that the vent line from the downdraft exhaust unit to outside is at least the same size as on the stove. You also need to make sure it isn't restricted.... as in a stuck vent door.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: