Help Diagnosing Gas Dryer Problem

Old 10-14-15, 09:55 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help Diagnosing Gas Dryer Problem

Hello,

I'm hoping for some help diagnosing a problem with our gas dryer!

Symptom 1: We first noticed the dryer not heating after doing multiple loads of laundry back to back...i.e. it would do fine with the first load and if we started another load it wouldn't heat for long. If we waited until the next day or something like that, it would heat again. This has progressed into the dryer not heating at all anymore, even on the first load.

Symptom 2: Not sure if this could be related, but we have also noticed that the dryer would keep running after the clothes were dry. For example we put on a load before going to bed and woke up in the AM with the dryer still running, cold inside, but the clothes dry.

I recently put a new belt in this dryer so I'd love to fix it again if possible. Can anyone help me diagnose the problem? I'm handy with a DMM or whatever other tools necessary.

Here's the make/model info:

Name:  IMG_5884.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  22.2 KB

Old 10-14-15, 12:41 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Start by making sure the vent isn't obstructed or blocked, including the passages inside the dryer. You may have to disassemble the blower housing.

Then I'd look at the flame sensor, especially if the flame only comes on for a few seconds and then goes off right away.

Next would be the temp sensors; there are probably 3 or 4 of them.

A quick google search will get you instructions on how to test each of these items.

Old 10-14-15, 07:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Carbide Tipped nailed it make sure the vent is clean all the way to outside.You just had it open to replace belt I hope you vacuumed all the lint out than. Easy way to check is take vent off back and feel air flow. reconnect vent and go outside and feel air flow, Should be about the same

Old 10-15-15, 05:10 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sorry should've mentioned this in the initial post; took the ductwork apart and cleaned all the venting. It's clear. Air blows strong even from outside.

I fired up the dryer last night to try to see if the ignitor was glowing, etc, and it fired right up. I only left it run for a few minutes. So...we have some kind of intermittent problem

Any ideas?

Old 10-15-15, 07:35 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Meant to ask you if this started immediately after you changed the belt?

Intermittents are always hard, but start by looking for any corroded or loose connections.
The switches and sensors usually have push on terminals; remove them one by one and reseat.

Pay close attention to the sequence of things it does or that seem to trigger the problem and try to come up with repeatable scenario.

Another thing you could try is switching to the straight timed cycle, rather than one of the cycles like permanent press, or what have you. The timed cycle doesn't depend on a lot of other sensors, so if it works reliably it gives a clue.

Old 10-15-15, 11:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Replace the gas coils, They will work for the first time until they heat up and than will open and will not work until they cool down. Replace both coils not worth finding out which one is bad.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: