How to check if a gas regulator works?

Old 10-16-15, 09:08 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to check if a gas regulator works?

I have a new Ramblewood cooktop which I connected. Called the gas company to come and turn on the gas and test the appliances. All fine, except the cooktop will not turn on. Turned out gas does not pass thru the regulator. The regulator is connected with direction of the gas going the same as the arrow on the regulator. So I disconnected the regulator and gave it a blow test (not sure how else I could test it). Blowing in the direction of the arrow on the unit, NO AIR can go thru. Blowing in the opposite direction will let air thru and if I blow too hard, it will cut of the flow.

So, can anyone tell me if this regulator is faulty? Did I destroy it with the blow test, even if it was not faulty?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Andy.

Old 10-16-15, 12:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,417 Votes on 1,310 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The gas company came turned on the gas and checked that cooktop ?
They told you the regulator was bad ?

Was gas actually confirmed to be at or just before the cooktop ?

Old 10-16-15, 03:21 PM
A
Hi PJmax - Thanks for the reply. The gas man was not sure the regulator was bad or not. He suggested that it may be bad. He confirmed the gas was present up to the regulator. He did not go any further than that.

The other tests were done by me, after the gas man was gone. BTW, just for test, I installed the regulator in reverse and the unit lights up beautifully with nice steady blue flames. I am just wondering, could the factory have assembled the regulator in reverse?

Old 10-16-15, 06:09 PM
Group Moderator
I'm not an authority on gas regulators but I doubt it would working correctly if it was in backwards. Normally the gas flows in the direction on the regulator.

Some regulators are changeable from gas to propane. If yours is adjustable make sure it's on N for Natural gas and not LP for propane.

Old 10-16-15, 06:40 PM
Since the cook top is new, I would order a replacement regulator under warranty, and ensure it is installed in the correct position.

It sounds like you may have fixed it though by changing the direction of flow into regulator. From my experience installing cook tops, the regulator will not work in reverse.

Old 10-20-15, 05:18 PM
A
Thank you all for your comments and help. I thought I give a final report about the resolution so I'll have some contribution to the forum readers.

The regulator was faulty. I peeled off the seal covering the regulator adjustment screw and started playing with the screw setting. I got the gas/air flowing in the correct direction, but since I had no way of knowing how this screw should be set, I didn't think it's safe to use it. It seems that the regulator was not properly adjusted at the factory.

So, I ordered a new regulator. This one works fine and I am set. BTW, the amazon seller was kind enough to send me the regulator without charging me (he did not have to do that since it was way passed my return period, etc.)

Thanks for reading.

Old 10-20-15, 05:27 PM
Group Moderator
Great news.

Thanks for stopping back and letting us know.
The Amazon sellers have a reputation to protect and will usually go out of their way for a customer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: