Gas smell from range, can't find leak

Old 10-27-15, 09:25 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Gas smell from range, can't find leak

I've got a Kenmore gas stove that's maybe 12 years old. Recently, after being out of town for a few days, we noticed a gas smell when we came into the house. The only gas appliance on the main floor is the range. I turned off the gas supply valve to the range and the smell didn't come back, confirming the issue is with the range. I used a soapy solution to check all connections, but didn't see any bubbling. So, I figured I would just change the supply line. After installing the new line and turning on the supply, the smell returned. I tried again to find leaks with the soapy solution, but couldn't. All I can think is there must be something internal that's leaking. Is there some part that is known to leak gas ranges like this?

Old 10-27-15, 10:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,418 Votes on 1,311 Posts
There isn't a common item that is known for causing a leak but there are connections inside.
You'll need to lift the cooktop and check underneath it.

The supply line usually comes up the back and into the area directly under the cooktop.

Old 10-27-15, 10:12 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I'll check under the cooktop in the morning. I should have mentioned that that oven is gas, too, not just the cooktop.

Old 10-27-15, 11:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,418 Votes on 1,311 Posts
I kind of figured that. You'll find a gas regulator in there mounted in the manifold that supplies the front burner controls.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: