Broken oven lock...HELP!

Old 04-07-01, 05:12 PM
Visiting Guest
Angry

The lever on my GE gas oven has been locked...and it would not unlock. In an attempt to fix it, the lock's handle has snapped off...leaving the oven, along with hol,iday dinner, inside. How do I unlock the oven???

Old 04-07-01, 07:01 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello Mara and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliance forum.

The archives contain several postings on this exact subject. I suggest you locate them and get complete details to accomplish the task of getting the door latch released.

In same cases, if the oven is currently stuck in the self cleaning locked position, unplugging the appliance for several hours may work. Other times, this method may not work, depending on the brand, model and locking system used.

Basically, you'll have to remove the ovens front control panel or door frame cover and release the locking mechanism using ordinary shop hand tools.

Use caution accessing the locking device thru the front of the control panel. First off, besure the appliance is unplugged. Use caution and do not attempt to pry or force the front panel loose, especially if it is made of glass. Look for hidden screws!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: