Kenmore oven not keeping temperature

Old 10-31-15, 11:23 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore oven not keeping temperature

My Kenmore oven will not keep the correct cooking temperature. It's a Kenmore 36274621301. Let's say I am trying to bake something at 400 degrees. To preheat the oven I will have to set the oven to about 410 or 415 to get the correct temp. I bought a oven thermometer to help figure this out. The oven will preheat to the correct temp, but the problem starts later after the flame goes out and the temp goes down a little and the oven starts back up. Assuming the oven is still set to 410 or 415 the oven will now heat from anywhere from 250 to 415. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I will stop the oven and turn it back on to the desired temperature and that will work until the next cycle. I found a oven sensor for next to nothing on the internet and I am going to change that out when it comes in. I'm going to throw that in and see what happens. I was wondering if there is anything else that comes to mind for someone. Control panel maybe? Thank.

Old 11-01-15, 10:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,418 Votes on 1,311 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The temperature sensor can be checked with a meter.

If the temperature of the oven is always under the setpoint.... that could be an igniter, temperature sensor or control board problem.

It the temperature does go over the setpoint...... that could be the temperature sensor or control board.

Old 11-01-15, 10:57 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts

Hello sisham35. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Might just be the temperature sensor but might also be foil on racks. To large a pan or dish or anything else or like that which can block the heat from rising upward.

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I will stop the oven and turn it back on to the desired temperature and that will work until the next cycle.
Based upon the info you posted (noted above) stating inconsistent heating results, etc.
Control panels are not cheap and not always the problem. Avoid throwing in......the sensor please. Fragile parts...

Use the reply button to update your post with the results once you install the replacement sensor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: