Kenmore stove: burner not igniting

Old 10-31-15, 03:12 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore stove: burner not igniting

Hello, I have a Kenmore gas stove model #79078762402 that I can't get one of the eyes to light. When turning the knob to the light position it doesn't spark or try to ignite. I can light it manually with a match and if I turn one of the other eyes to light and then turn the knob on it will light. I can see all the igniters firing when using all of the other knobs but this one. Any ideas or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Ron

Old 11-01-15, 10:41 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Ron. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Very likely the spark igniters switch is defective. Since the sparker does fire. The switch is on the valve stem. Providing each burner has it's own sparker.

Best idea for now would be use one burner that works to light the burner with the non sparking igniter. It's a work around but might be ok for now if your not yet ready to fix it.

Or you might need to test continuity on the defective switch if you have test ohm meter and know how to use it. CAUTION!... Must have electrical power turned off or plug removed from wall outlet! Should be no need to remove switch. Just test touching ohm meters leads to terminals.

Test fails, switch defective. Short term solution mentioned above.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: