Pilot on water heater blows out

Old 04-09-01, 11:58 AM
Visiting Guest
My furnace and water heater are vented separately into a single stack, one above the other. This installation was professionally done. The furnace has no pilot. Every time we get strong westerly winds, there is a down draft that blows out the pilot light in the water heater. This happens only during extermely strong winds. There is a cap on the stack. Is there a solution to this?

Old 04-09-01, 07:33 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello potterpetworthy and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliance forum.

Although I am not a firm believer that water heater pilots get blownout by strong winds, it can happen. It is also even far less likely with a down drafter diverter correctly installed on the water heater.

The down draft diverter is a three legged metal cap the sits on top of the water heaters exhaust vent. One has to be installed there to prevent downdraft winds from blowing out the pilot.

Check and verify if one is installed on your water heater. If not, get one from any local plumbing hardware store.

I cannot assume there is a diverter installed even if it was professionally installed. I have seen many so called professionally installed water heaters without a diverter.

Do not assume the vent cap on the roof is okay either. It may be the incorrect one or the vent stack does not extend far enough above the roof line to escape a back pressure from strong winds.

Regards & Good Luck
Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: