Frigidaire FGF366BCB oven gas is not flowing at ignitable rate

Old 01-25-16, 03:10 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Frigidaire FGF366BCB oven gas is not flowing at ignitable rate

When I turn on my oven, it never ignites. I took out the heat dispersion pan and started the oven. The igniter warms up and the regulator valve releases gas into the oven, but the gas pressure is so low that it doesn't ignite. If I put a match up to the gas bar, I can see a slight blue glimmer.

That being said the stove top is working fine. I checked the regulator's resistance, and it was 0 Ohms (I read that <5 is considered a working resistance). I looked at the gas valve. It has a on/off switch that I tripped (set to off and then back to on). At that point, the gas come on in the oven.

Does this sound like the main valve is faulty?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-16, 06:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,169 Votes on 1,084 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Does this sound like the main valve is faulty?
No...it sounds more like your igniter is defective. The igniter must glow white hot for the gas valve to fully open.

I'd recommend changing the igniter. The part number is # 5303935066.
You'd use that part number to search around online or check with your local appliance parts retailer.

One place to get it from....
Amazon.com: Frigidaire 5303935066 Gas Oven Ignitor

Old 01-25-16, 11:10 PM
P
Thanks for this. But can you explain the logic? If I turn on the oven, the igniter starts glowing. It does not get white hot, but at some point the a small amount of gas does start flowing through the tube. It does not ignite. When I tip the safety switch on the back valve, the gas flows through and ignites. I guess I don't understand why I can trip the gas flow from the valve and it ignites. Does the igniter pass voltage through to the regulator which opens up the regulator valve? If so why does my tripping the main valve cause the gas to flow all of a sudden.

Old 01-26-16, 08:55 AM
Group Moderator
The gas valve is called a safety valve. The igniter is in series with the valve. As the igniter heats up it draws current thru the valve. When it gets to white hot it reaches approx 3A and the gas valve fully opens.

Old 01-26-16, 08:58 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello ppc2016 and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and the Gas Appliances topic.

The components (gas valve and igniter) work on electrical voltage and resistance, not logic...:NO NO NO: The hot surface glow igniter (HSI) must glow a bright yellow orange. Hot enough to ignite the gas. Also hot enough in electric resistance valve to fully open the gas valve or the condition described can develop.

Best solution is to replace both parts at the same time. Both the gas valve and the HSI. Usually an industry standard to ensure both parts work. Both parts ware out, so best practice is to replace both at the same time, IMO. Always works best that way since both parts are worn out almost equally. Anything less is doing only half the job...

Old 01-26-16, 10:25 AM
P
Great. Thanks. Part is ordered.

Old 02-01-16, 11:07 PM
P
Update

I bought the part, installed it tonight, and voila , the gas oven is working again.

Old 02-01-16, 11:17 PM
Group Moderator
Great news. Thanks for stopping back and letting us know how you made out.