External gas shutoff needed to replace range?

Old 01-30-16, 06:19 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
External gas shutoff needed to replace range?

We have a condo which still has the original gas range from the 70s or 80s. We want to replace it. When we recently replaced plumbing valves in the kitchen that required water to be shut off in the whole condo building. Is a similar shutoff usually needed to replace a range?

I was told that a similar job was done in the building next to ours by Sears when they delivered the new range and they did not need an external shutoff. I suspect the same might be true about our condo, but what if, for instance, the old pipe (i.e. whatever connects the range to the gas line) is old/rusty? Could it crack even when the old range gets moved from the wall?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-16, 06:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 908 Votes on 848 Posts
Could it crack even when the old range gets moved from the wall?
Not very likely.

You will have a valve that turns off the entire condo but you should have a valve directly behind the stove for servicing. Try sliding the stove out about a foot and looking behind it.

Old 01-30-16, 06:56 PM
(i.e. whatever connects the range to the gas line)
The old flex line shouldn't be reused. Usually when you purchase a new gas appliance, a new flex line will be sold with it.
If you weren't charged for the new flex line due to salesperson error, the installers have many on the truck and will usually install one regardless if paid for or not due to their liability and time.

Old 01-30-16, 09:29 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
Assuming that you pay the utility for your natural gas there should be a location (it may be a locked room) where the individual gas meters are located. Each meter will have a shut-off valve.

Old 01-31-16, 07:28 AM
Just to add to Furd's comments:

Condos here, and I'm sure many other places are almost always set up as follows:

- Electric and Gas are metered, owner is billed. You have shut offs for both gas and electric to each individual unit

- Water is almost always shared throughout the entire building. The water must be turned off to entire building for work to be done. Usually requires a 24 hour notice.

- There are some condos/HOA that retrofit water meters into the plumbing, meters are read by a private company. This is expensive to retrofit though and most don't bother doing it.