Whirlpool dryer taking forever to dry clothes

Old 04-01-16, 07:24 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool dryer taking forever to dry clothes

So my wife texts me this morning saying the dryer isn't drying the clothes very well. She said she can feel that the clothes are hot but after a normal load they aren't dry (just damp but hot).

We always make it a habit to clean the lint filter between every load as well.

I told my wife to go outside and check the vent and she said it was blowing out fine. She isn't tall enough to really look into it and see if its clogged much at all or if its blowing hard, but she did say the vent was open and blowing.

Where should i start when it comes to fixing this?

Edit: I should also mention that it's a gas dryer.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-16, 07:27 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
If it was working and is now taking longer, ruling out a vent issue is the first thing to do.

Old 04-01-16, 07:39 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 604 Votes on 557 Posts
A clear exit path for the air is always the first thing. Get a ladder and get up there and feel if the air is blowing out with reasonable force and that it's hot and humid. If it is then the dryer is doing it's job and you need to look at the washing machine. It's possibly sending clothes out wetter than usual. Maybe the spin cycle is not selected or it's not spinning properly.

Old 04-01-16, 07:48 AM
J
That's one of the first things i had asked her actually. She said the clothes came out of the washer just as good as they always do and its always on a spin cycle.

Old 04-01-16, 07:57 AM
S
Group Moderator
The clothes aren't going in more wet and the dryer is getting hot so I'm still thinking obstruction in the vent.

Old 04-01-16, 08:32 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Johnny

Since the venting system seems to be working correctly, as mentioned, the other most likely causes below.

Defective Glow Ignitor: (Hot Surface Ignitor) The glow ignitor may glow but just be too weak to allow current to continue to flow to the coils. The solenoid coils are also part of the electrical loop and may effect proper glow ignitor operation or functioning.

Defective Solenoids (coils as often referred to): There are two...both are on top of the gas valve. Solenoids also supply voltage to the glow coil and are part of the electrical loop. All terminals on both solenoids must have continuity. If not, you'll need to remove them from the top of the gas valve by removing the entire gas valve assembly first.

Remove both solenoids off the gas valve body by removing the holddown cover plate and replace them both if suspected to be defective. They are sold only in pairs. Or take the entire gas valve unit to your local appliance parts store and have the entire assembly and all the parts tested individually and as an assembly.

Defective Gas Valve:
Remove entire unit as an assembly. Take the entire assembly to your local appliance parts store for testing. Gas valves are not repairable. Replacement is the only option if defective.

CAUTION: Do Not attempt to repair the gas valve! This is a non repairable item!

Old 04-01-16, 08:38 AM
J
That's what im thinking as well. I'm gonna run it for 5-10 min when i get home tonight and check the air flow coming out the vent outside, double check to make sure its still getting nice and hot (should be since my wife said it took 2 cycles to dry the clothes), and then il rip off the front near the lint trap and take a look inside.

Old 04-01-16, 09:37 AM
J
Quesiton. How bad does the obstruction have to be in order to cause it to do this? my wife says the vent outside was open and air blowing out but she couldn't feel how hard the air was blowing. But the vent itself was open atleast.

Old 04-01-16, 09:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,049 Votes on 973 Posts
she can feel that the clothes are hot but after a normal load they aren't dry
That's a sign the vent is clogged. It doesn't take much to cause the drying process to slow down. A clothes dryer vent system should be cleaned yearly.

Old 04-01-16, 09:51 AM
J
I just asked her again how the clothes felt after the first cycle. She said they were warm, not hot. After the second cycle they were dry.

But back to my question. How badly clogged does it have to be in order to do this? until i feel the air pressure coming out of the vent on the house myself i can only go by what my wife said which was it was open and air coming out, but she couldn't feel the pressure.

Also can this literally happen overnight essentially? cause last weekend the dryer was working perfectly fine and drying no problem on the first cycle. It literally happened overnight basically.

Old 04-01-16, 10:13 AM
S
Group Moderator
Warm, not hot.

That's different than what you first said so I now think someone may be going on in the dryer and think you should take a look at Sharp Advice's list of possibilities.

Old 04-01-16, 10:18 AM
J
Yay, lol. If its one of those parts then wouldn't that mean the clothes would never get dry? just curious... Also its possible she didn't go to unload the dryer right away so the clothes could have been hot and just naturally cooled down before she got to them.

Old 04-01-16, 10:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 71 Votes on 64 Posts
1 # cause of clothes not drying in 1 cycle is the vent either partially clogged or clogged. Easiest way to check is take vent tube off dryer and feel air flow, reconnect vent and go outside and feel air flow should be the same. Any reduction in flow you need a vent cleaning or repair. 95% of all dryer problems start with vent.

Old 04-01-16, 10:38 AM
J
Thankyou pugsl, i will give that a shot. If the air flow seems okay after doing both tests, then that must mean an issue with a physical part inside the dryer correct? one of the parts that Sharp mentioned possibly?

Old 04-01-16, 02:40 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I ran into a situation where water got into vent hose.

Old 04-01-16, 05:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Run dryer fir about 10 minutes with wet towels in it. It should be hot in the dryer. if cool than you may have something else wrong. If you have a thermometer the duct temp should be around 160 and will cycle down to around 100. do thiss with no clothes.

Old 04-01-16, 06:40 PM
J
Ok so here's what i did so far when i got home.

#1. I took the vent hose off the back of the dryer, looked into the hose and into the dryer, didn't look too bad at all (very very very small clump of lint in the hose). Looked into the dryer vent and it was pretty clean, not bad at all.

#2. Turned the dryer on and felt the air coming out of the dryer with no hose, came out nice and strong. Let it go that way for about a minute, air got nice and warm too.

#3. Hooked the vent hose back up to the dryer, turned it on, went outside, felt pretty strong. It has to go 8 feet and through 2 90 degree bends so obviously it wasn't as strong as straight out of the dryer, but it wasn't bad at all.

#4. Took the vent hose back off the dryer and used my leaf blower to blast air through the hose and try and knock out whatever might be in there. My wife did it while i watched the vent outside. Very little came out. Sure some came out, but no huge clumps or anything.

#5. Took the bottom cover off the dryer too inspect how much lint and what not was in there. It wasn't bad. Sure there was a nice layer on the bottom of the dryer, but it wasn't bad at all. The igniter and solenoids and all that looked pretty clean actually. I vaccumed out what i could.

#6. I took apart the lint trap assembly inside the dryer and cleaned it out. Was bad but not horrible at all actually (i looked through it with a flash light before ripping apart). Looked dirty due to normal use, that's about it. Cleaned it all out anyways and shoved my shop vac hose down it too suck up whatever i could.

#7. Put the lint trap back together, turned the dryer on and watched too see if the flame came on. After roughly 20 seconds (didn't time it but it didn't feel long so im just guessing), the flame would come on and stay on for maybe a minute? then it would turn off for a minute (again roughly a minute, i didn't time it) then it would come back on again. Repeat this a few times. Went outside, still felt strong and nice warm air blowing out like i remember

#8. Put the bottom to the dryer back on, put in a very very lightly damp bed blanket, turned the dryer on and its currently drying as we speak. It will most likely be dry nice when its done (set it for a 20 minute load since it wasn't all that wet). I did however start a new load of wash so when that is done il be able to give the dryer a good test with wet clothes.

So with the flame, is it supposed to come on and off all the time during normal operation? or is it supposed to stay on constantly?

Old 04-01-16, 07:23 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
If it works like an oven, the flame wouldn't be on all the time. The 90 degree turns in the house doesn't sound good/

Last edited by stickshift; 04-01-16 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-01-16, 07:44 PM
J
Yah I didn't think that flame was supposed to be on all the time cause something about that wouldn't make sense, like it would get way to hot in there. So I assume the constant on and off every minute or so must be normal.

Tomorrow I'm gonna buy some new hose and run it. Currently about 6ft of it is aluminum hose and parts of it look pretty crumpled and crimped at the bends. The last 3-4 feet is straight metal pipe. Il pick up some of the white hose tomorrow and replace it.

Old 04-01-16, 07:48 PM
S
Group Moderator
90 corners are bad, it means you need to work that much harder to keep the vent clear.

Old 04-01-16, 07:55 PM
J
Hmmm so what should I be doing to rectify this? Been living here for 6 years and never had a problem with it until now.

Old 04-01-16, 08:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,049 Votes on 973 Posts
It would best to use regular 4" tin ducting rather than any type of hose. Two 90's are ok.... just means cleaning a little more often.

Old 04-01-16, 08:16 PM
J
Alright I'll see what I can do tomorrow. Also, I just felt the side of my dryer near where the flame is annnnnnd its very very VERY hot to the touch. To the point of I can't keep my hand on it for more than a few seconds. Is that normal?

Mind you I think the flame was on at the time cause I heard it click off and then the side of the dryer started to cool down.

Old 04-01-16, 08:29 PM
J
Update to the load of laundry we just did. 7 towels. 5 normal size, 2 small. They all came out perfectly dry after the first cycle. So something I cleaned out must have worked. Tomorrow I'm still gonna replace that hose though.

Old 04-02-16, 12:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The best vent tube is flexible medal tube. The next best is the silver wire type. Make sure when you push dryer back you don't crush the tube.