Kenmore dryer squeaking

Old 04-06-16, 02:56 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kenmore dryer squeaking

Hi. I've got an old Kenmore gas dryer. The only model # I could find on the manual was 417. I use it for two loads on Saturdays and a couple of months ago a tiny squeak started and has grown with each passing week. The squeak is not really loud and doesn't bother me in the least, but if it's indicative of something I might take care of to avoid damage (or for 'quality of life' LOL) then I would want to do something. But I don't know what that 'something' might be. Which is why I'm here.

Any ideas on how to stop the squeak--or if it's not indicative of damage occurring (then I'll just live with it)?

Thanks.

Old 04-06-16, 03:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Model # is inside door frame. If it is the one I think it is you need to grease the rear bearing. Very common problem. Post Model # and can help with disassembly. For me it was about 15 minutes but give yourself about 1 hour.

Old 04-07-16, 09:51 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello BadGolfer and Welcome into the Gas Appliances topic.

Another possible cause is worn glider/slider pads. Located in the front which support the front of the drum. Drum slides on these pads which become worn out over time. Since you have to remove drum to access the rear bearing, if there is one, not all dryers have a rear bearing, check to two or more pads front of drum rides/glides on.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the most likely possible problem may be. They will need the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts and problem resolving matters. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Safety Warning:
Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned and or dryer is unplugged before attempting any repairs or services. Always check for gas leaks whenever moving the appliance and/or a service or repair includes any connection of a gas part.

While at it, it's a good idea to check both the internal and external venting systems. Also clean out entire cabinet...

Old 04-07-16, 10:29 PM
B
Thanks pugsi. The model number is: 417.90042990 I appreciate the help.

Old 04-07-16, 10:34 PM
B
Thanks SharpAdvice. And thanks for the welcome. I have a friend who's pretty mechanical that will help me (because I'm not). But let me ask you this--is it a big deal though to let the squeak keep squeaking? Yes, I should take care of it right away, but I know myself enough that it's unlikely. However, if something dreadful (especially economically) is going to come of it, then I'll be quicker to act.

Old 04-08-16, 03:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You let it squeak to long and the plastic hub will wear out. best case is you only need cup but I have seen them wear out so bad it cuts the steel ball off and basket falls into heater and destroys all back there. I would fix soon. One little squirt of grease and a hour it's done. Post model # and will give directions.

Old 04-08-16, 08:05 PM
B
Thanks pugsi. What's "cup"? Here's the model number 417.90042990 for the directions. Thanks very much.

Old 04-09-16, 03:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
UNPLUG DRYER FIRST

Here is a diagram of your dryer. part # 12 under drum assy is the cup
DRUM ASSEMBLY Diagram & Parts List for Model 41790042990 Kenmore-Parts Dryer-Parts | SearsPartsDirect
Put a putty knife between top and front slide to sides and you will feel a clip, push back and lift top. One clip each side.
remove control panel 2 to 4 screws, unplug wires, cut tie wrap on right side and unplug those wires.. #2 square drive works best but a Phillips screwdriver can be used.
remove plastic piece in middle. 2 screws hold front on one on each side.
reach inside under drum and disconnect belt. Look how belt is on as you will have to put it on the same way.Sounds hard but takes me about a minute but have done many.
use belt , slide belt to back of drum. lift drum with belt. maybe stuck and will take a hard quick pull to get drum out of cup.
Take drum out and clean ball. check cup there should be white plastic above medal bracket. any white above cup is good. If no white showing you will need cup.
put a small glob of grease in cup. there is a small ball bearing in back of cup, get grease on it.
Clean dryer of lint and reverse to install. Most wires only fit one way but take pictures as you go. take a picture of how belt is run it can be tricky.
hope this helps, make have missed a step I retired 2 years ago.
Any questions post back and let me know how it came out.

Old 04-09-16, 02:15 PM
B
Thanks a lot, Pugsl! Your instructions are very do-able, and the link with the diagram helps a lot. I really appreciate all your help.

Old 04-09-16, 02:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
One thing I just thought of but don't think you will run into this. If the felt in front around drum is rusty replace it. Will give instructions if needed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: