converting electric range to gas

Old 04-21-01, 09:02 AM
Visiting Guest
I am converting an electric range to gas, but currently do not have a gas connection to the kithen. I have a 3/4" gas line to the heater about 25 yards away. My question is what size line is needed to run a 15,000 BTU range?

Old 04-21-01, 08:43 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello and Welcome J.Imber to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliance forum.

Do not reduce the pipe size. Continue it in it's current size of 3/4 inch to the location needed. Then install a 3/4 inch shutoff valve at the termination point.

Connect the flexable gas line to the shutoff valve and install it to the stove. Turn on the gas at the start of the feedline and SOAP TEST the whole line at all connections and pipe joints added and installed.

Good Luck,
Tom_Bartco
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.
Personal Quote:
"Drive Safely. The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 04-21-01, 08:52 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by j. imber
My question is what size line is needed to run a 15,000 BTU range?
Hello,

Can I ask a dumb question??

What gas ranges are 15,000BTU's??

Most surface burners are between 9,000-13,000BTU's for one burner...never mind 4 of them and the oven burner!!

jeff.

p.s. Tom, your welcome!!

Old 05-15-01, 05:22 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thanks Tom, can't wait to get the new range in my kitchen. As far as Jeff's question. The largest burner is 15,000 BTU and the rest are 9,000 and below. The oven is electric. Does that change the line size or is 3/4" still big enough?

Joe

Old 05-15-01, 05:39 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hi,

Should measure the length of the run vrs the BTU's of the range top...check with local gas company...the code book will go by length and BTU's and # of fittings to see what size tubing/pipe is required. With out seeing your run...normally 3/4 inch is good for the BTU's you are talking about

jeff.

http://www.applianceaid.com/
Appliance Repair Aid

Old 05-15-01, 06:03 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello J.Imber

Based on the assumption there are 4 burners, the total BTU's and footage information, using the numbers you have supplied, 3/4 inch pipe will due fine.

The flex connector should be standard range connector size.

Regards & Good Luck
Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: