Gas Dryer - not sealed??

Old 11-02-16, 02:55 AM
Thumbs down Gas Dryer - not sealed??

Ever since a clip got caught between my dryer drum and housing (I was able to wiggle the plastic clip out and kept intact)... my dryer seems to be "leaking". When it runs, I can 'smell' dryer smell more than I could before. Also, there is always lint on the floor, in the back of my dryer. My vent is NOT disconnected. I have fixed my washing machine many times myself, but not sure I should attempt to disassemble the dryer to try and see what's going on. The dryer is a GE profile (>= 10 yrs old) and is stacked on top of my washer.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-16, 04:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 13
1st thing to do is clean vent to outside. To check disconnect vent at back of dryer and feel air flow, reconnect vent go outside and feel air flow, should be the same. 99% of dryer fails start with vent problems. Lint around back of dryer is a sign. Post model # of dryer but clip stuck in felt should not be a problem except for noise.
Smell from dryer almost always from something else around dryer, Painting anyplace in house (I once had one painting next door), chemicals stored around dryer. Dryers pull in a lot of air and any smell in house will go through it.

Old 11-02-16, 06:03 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes Received: 5

Hello Michelly1712. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Clip? As in a plastic paper clip? Or a clip used in the dryer assembly? Kindly elaborate on what you mean by clip. And also as requested dryer model #. Both would be helpful to us to help you.

Suggestions:
Inspect the door seal for damage, alignment and seals door well around entire surface. Door closes fully and lint filter seal not damaged too. Same applies to drum gasket seal. Which likely can be checked looking inside drums entire inner circumference.

DRYER SERVICE TIP:
It's always advisable to clean the entire exhaust venting system every 2 years. Or during any dryer maintenance, replacement and or repairs.

Web Site Host, Forums Manager, Moderator Hiring and Promotions Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.