Gas Oven has problems staying lit

Old 04-23-01, 04:39 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

Hi.

I've got a gas oven in my apartment and it has issues.

When I set it to 425 degrees, for example, it takes it about a minute for the burner to kick in. That's fine. It'll heat up to around 425 and then the burner goes out. This too is fine ('cause the temperature regulator wants to maintain that temperature so it shuts off).

The problem comes when the temperature drops and the burner wants to kick in again. It won't. I will, however, smell gas, so I think it's trying to start. I can eventually get the burner to light if I blow into the hole over the burner, so maybe it's not getting enough air?

Anybody got any ideas? Thanks.

Query

Old 04-23-01, 06:32 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Query and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliance forum.

The problem discription sounds like the burners ignition ports <Holes> are restricted. Most likely because the burner lites the first time, the burners own heat may be causing the ports or the crossover slot or holes to expand and close up.

This is a common problem with aluminum burners. Clogs and restrictions also happen to cast iron burners. Usually at the ignition holes near the pilot or at the crossover holes or slot.

Most gas companies offer an in home service to correct this type of problem. Check with yours and or contact the maintenance person of the building.

The tools needed and the possibility that that entire burner may have to be removed to correct the condition may mean this job isn't for the handy type of do it yourself person.

Regards & Good Luck
Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 04-24-01, 09:31 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks bunches.

*goes to call ye olde landlord*

Query

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: