Propane stove regulator problem?

Old 01-06-17, 09:23 AM
Propane stove regulator problem?

Name:  grill 2.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  23.2 KBName:  grill 3.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  33.8 KBHey guys, I bought the propane stove in the pic off ebay last year, it's a great stove with really high flame but now all of a sudden not getting the left burner to light and nowhere as high a flame as normal on the right side burner.

We had disconnected the hose to the stove and used a compressor to blow out the burners and that is clear so not the problem. I am being told only other thing would be the regulator needs replacing?

I cannot find the manufacturer of this stove anywhere on the net as the only description on the stove is "Flaming Griller BUR6800" as is showing in the pic. I would like to replace the regulator if that is the issue but don't know what to buy?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-17, 10:01 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 206
If you have two burners and one is working normally.... then it is not the regulator.
I would try cleaning the orifice first.

That would involve removing the problem side burner and clean the gas orifice with a small pin. A bristle from a wire brush works good.

In the picture.... the arrow is pointing to the tiny orifice hole. Sometimes the orifice is like a removable cap that can be removed for easier cleaning.

Name:  bbq orifice.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  32.6 KB

Old 01-06-17, 11:18 AM
No the 2nd burner as mentioned even thought lighting is not working nowhere the same as as before, lot less flame. Also what I am not understanding is why the 2nd burner would light but not the first since it looks to me like the gas is run through the left burner first?

Old 01-06-17, 11:24 AM
Group Moderator
I understand that but each burner has it's own orifice. It's very likely the one on the weak burner is partially plugged.

An extremely common problem on outside grilles because spiders climb in the orifice to build a nest and it clogs the hole.

Old 01-07-17, 04:07 AM
I don't think each burner has it's own orifice in this stove, looks like only one and the 2nd burner is an extension of the first. I will know more today, got a friend coming over who has more knowledge of this, I will suggest to him about cleaning the orifice.

Meantime, that rotary red knob on top of the regulator, what's the purpose of that please?

Old 01-07-17, 11:07 AM
Group Moderator
If there is just one control on the BBQ.... then there is usually only one orifice.

There isn't usually a knob on the regulator like that. It's labeled on and off but looks like it could actually adjust the propane pressure.

Does it just turn one turn or several ?

Old 01-11-17, 07:49 AM
Sorry for the late response, it snowed here on Saturday so we didn't have the time to get to this and the friend could not come over to troubleshoot. I just took more pics.

Seems I was mistaken that the gas goes to one burner first which then leads to the other. As this pic shows, the orifice leads to one pipeline which splits in two so one leads to the left burner and the other to the right burner:

Name:  20170111_095304.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  32.0 KB

Name:  20170111_095330.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  35.8 KB

Old 01-11-17, 07:53 AM
So my thinking is since the right side burner was lighting when the left wasn't that there should be some obstruction between the orifice and the pipeline which leads to the burners and especially the left burner which wasn't lighting at all and that should mean that the fault should not be regulator related?

Old 01-16-17, 05:48 AM
Well guys, we got it done. It was a matter of the adjustments between the red knob on top of the regulator and the adjustment of the lever thingy located at the back of the burner knobs.

Old 02-09-17, 12:34 PM
Just one issue left, the left side burner is giving off a yellow colored flame on top of the blue flame and this yellow flame is making the pot black with soot, how can i fix this please?

Old 02-09-17, 01:33 PM
Group Moderator
See if that burner has an air shutter that you could close slightly.

Old 02-10-17, 03:25 AM
I did some research on air shutters, this video shows the type of flame on the left side burner of my stove but from all research it seems adjusting the air shutter only "lowers" the flame or am I wrong please? If I am correct then I would need another option as I sometimes need a large flame depending on what I am cooking.

Old 02-10-17, 06:54 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes Received: 5

Very last pic in post number 7 shows there are 2 brass orifices, one for each burner. Typical and standard setup. If one of the burners has a lower flame size, then any obstruction of gas flow indicates that specific orifice is likely restricted and or plugged up to some degree. As already mentioned.

If the flames are yellow or yellowed tipped, that indicates a lack of secondary air into the burner. It's not flame size we are now concerned with. It's eliminating soot. Opening the air shutter increases the air flow to the fuel, which results in a bluer flame. As seen in the pic in #7, there is an air shutter on the end of each burner. Rotating the air shutter to open it further then lets in more air will reduce or illuminate the yellow in the flames and stop the burner from making soot.

Old 02-10-17, 07:57 AM
As seen in the pic in #7, there is an air shutter on the end of each burner.
Thanks, can you tell me exactly which is the air shutter please? There is a strange sort of adjustment piece located in no.1 in the pic, sorry I can't get a clear view of it, the end of it is shaped like a guitar pick, this rotates both left and right, could that be it?

Name:  Screenshot_1.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  33.7 KB

Old 02-11-17, 09:12 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes Received: 5

#1 is the air shutter in photo above. (#14.) This type of burner often but not always uses a lever on the shutter. The procedure used to adjust air to fuel ration to remove yellow in the flame is to slightly open shutter while observing the flames. The intent is to only remove the yellow and have a blue flame without the flames making noise, blowing or lifting off the burners base.

To much air causes flames to lift off burner head, make a blowing sound and will result in difficult lightly. Flames must always remain in contact with burner head and not have yellow flames nor yellow flame tips. It's a balancing act to obtain the best possible air to fuel ratio. Each burner is or will or can be different often ever so slightly. Your job is to have burner on it's highest flame setting while adjusting each burners air to fuel ratio.

The correct air shutter setting is one the allows quick, easy and positive ignition and no or very little yellow in the flames. Slightly yellowed tips is allowable in a BBQ and some outdoor burner appliances as such. But never in an appliance used indoors...:NO NO NO:

IMO & FYI: if the bbq's wire rack or grate was removed or raised up out of the way prior to taking a photo, it would be much easier to see all beneath it...

Old 02-13-17, 05:23 AM
Sorry I did not get the chance to attend to this over the w/e, will do so this coming Saturday when I go to my garage. The grill you see in the pic is welded unto the frame so cannot be removed. Yes "lever" is the word which best describes that air shutter thingy, thanks.

Old 02-19-17, 08:27 AM
Sorry this took so long but you were right, I adjusted the air shutter "lever" and now hardly any yellow flame. I did notice that when doing this the entire flame height gets lowered and as mentioned sometimes I need a high flame but it will work as, really appreciate the help, thank you!