Noisy Kenmore Dryer

Old 02-01-17, 10:04 PM
B
BGC
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Noisy Kenmore Dryer

I have a Kenmore Laundry Center (Stacked Unit) Model #11088732793. The tube style dryer drum was making a rhythmic, grinding noise as it rotated.

I removed the top and front panels, removed the drum. There were no broken parts or plastic/metal shavings. The 2 rollers look OK, the belt is OK, the Idler pulley is OK except that it does not have a spinning plastic wheel - it has a C shaped metal arch in place of the wheel.

I reassembled and the noise was gone except a new one appeared. There is now an occasional sound on the right side. When I press on the sidewall, the noise gets worse. Apparently the spinning drum is rubbing against the sidewall.

Any idea what could cause this sidewall noise? Or, the first noise I was dealing with? And, should I install an Idler with a white plastic wheel? Thanks

Old 02-02-17, 01:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Put 1 drop of oil on shaft of rollers. Noise on side, was there any tape on drum. Sometimes comes loose and will rub side. Plastic bearing in front drum opening needs to be in good shape. Idler sometimes will make a squeaking sound. None of these things would I retake dryer apart to do. Take top off and try to see what is hitting side.

Old 02-02-17, 08:52 PM
B
BGC
Thanks for your response. What is the correct orientation of the belt? Ribbed side against the drum or smooth side against the drum? Mine is smooth side against the drum. Seems wrong but, there is conflicting information in the research I have done.

Also, there was no tape on the drum.

Thanks

Old 02-03-17, 03:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ribbed side against drum...........

Old 02-05-17, 12:31 PM
B
BGC
The front plastic bearing ring is intact. With the door panel on I discovered there was a 1/8" gap at the top (inside) of the drum at the back wall. When I pushed the drum up from the front (inside) the gap was closed. Should I assume the front felt seal (part #349462) needs to be replaced? Thanks

Old 02-05-17, 03:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would only change felt it the clothes are getting stuck in there. That dryer did not have a problem with that usually. Some movement is normal there.

Old 02-07-17, 10:27 AM
B
BGC
Could the belt be too small - pulling the front of the drum downward? Or, could the Idler pulley be too rigid? The Idler is a solid piece of metal, without the spinning plastic wheel. Thanks

Old 02-07-17, 12:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Wrong belt would not fit or be to long. That idler as been on dryers for 20+ years and only problem is they get nosiey. Do your clothes get stuck in gap?

Old 02-07-17, 07:19 PM
B
BGC
The clothes do not get stuck in the 1/8" gap.

Old 02-08-17, 03:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
1/8 gap is a normal gap I thought we were talking about 1/2 inch gap. anything tighter dryer would not turn.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: