Gas stove igniter modification.

Old 03-10-17, 12:37 AM
T
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Gas stove igniter modification.

Several of the igniters were either very weak, or making no spark at all. Ordered new igniters and that didnt help... sanded stuff down, and that didnt help either. After some trial and error, i discovered that placing a small piece of copper wire next to the ceramic igniter made them all spark strongly like they are supposed to. Is this anything that would cause a problem? I did it to two of the igniters, and it resulted in a spark that looks normal.

Here are some pics of the wire, and how i placed it next to the igniter:

And here is a video of them sparking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uicanauVBUE

Old 03-10-17, 01:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
If you have a problem with all the igniters then you probably have a weak spark module.
The pieces of wire you put there made the gap smaller and easier for the spark to jump.

It's not a proper repair but it shouldn't be dangerous as you are not affecting the gas flow.

Old 03-10-17, 09:16 PM
T
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Thanks PJ.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 25 characters.

Edit: It's funny, on another forum they have both a 'like' and a 'thanks' button... i never know which is 'worth' more, so i just hit both on everyones posts that help. Then over here there is no 'like', or 'thanks' buttons, and you cant just say thanks unless you put a bunch of extra stuff.

Old 03-10-17, 10:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I thank you for extra stuff.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: