Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Household Cleaning, Kitchen Appliance Service and Repairs > >Gas< Kitchen Appliances, Dryers and BBQ's
Reload this Page >

Gas dryer flames out. Similar to other threads, but stranger circumstance.

Old 05-01-17, 11:04 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello-
Kenmore Elite gas dryer 110.72062100

After drying a very large blanket on the lowest setting for two cycles of 80 minutes each, I tried to dry a load of jeans the next day. No heat. I discovered it would only ignite on highest temp setting and then flame would go out and not reignite; igniter would not glow again.

Igniter would not glow at all on any other temp setting (this is all on timed dry instead of auto sensor setting, which has never worked correctly.)

I replaced the coils and now it will ignite once or twice on all temp settings and then flame out; no glow from igniter after initial flames. Would this be my thermistor or would something else be more suspect?

Condition is present even with duct disconnected.

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-17, 11:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
First clean the vent to outside, If igniter glows than thermostat circuit is ok. Thermostats and ignniter all in that circuit is good. Take vent off the back of dryer and try it. I think it will work.

Old 05-01-17, 08:58 PM
The duct work is only about a year old. I took off the blower motor cover and cleaned all of the stuff out of there (there was some but not a ton), reassembled, and ran the dryer unplugged from the exhaust. Same condition. Sometimes it only fires once on highest heat setting, sometimes two or three times. On "moisture sensing" setting sometimes it will fire on other temp settings once or twice.

The only constant is that I can get it to fire at least once on the highest setting.

On the non-ignite instances, the igniter does not glow.

Thermistor?

I found my multi-meter and the batteries corroded beyond repair, so I will have a new one soon. What should I be checking? Is there something that could be burning out the solenoid coils? I just replaced them and everything worked for a day.

Old 05-02-17, 04:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
yOU SAID YOU REPLACED COILS, DID YOU REPLACE BOTH? (sorry cap lock key) Could be thermistor take a ohm reading I think it should read around 50K. Not common for that one to go out but happens. Open console there should be a tech sheet in there. Will tell you how to get into service mode.
Take end caps off and 2 screws under there, Console hinges up. All done from front.
Sounds like a coil problem, After coils heat up (run for 5 minutes take a ohm reading, Should have no opens.Readings will vary and forgot what they should be. Slight chance they will be on tech sheet, usually not.

Old 05-02-17, 12:30 PM
Yes, both coils were replaced.

Old 05-03-17, 06:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you find tech sheet yet?

Old 05-03-17, 08:29 AM
I'm having trouble figuring out how to get in there. It is not set up how you mentioned with endcaps. Many sheet metal screws on the back, but nothing on the side. I removed a couple but it doesn't seem to let anything go for me to get into the console. It is certainly not obvious to my eye which ones should be removed.

Old 05-03-17, 09:10 AM
The endcaps are mounted behind the bezel, flush. It appears the endcaps would only come out when the console flips up (the bezel is holding them in.)

I cannot find any clips underneath the front of the bezel to release. This seems how it would work (clips) but they just aren't there. Frustrating.

Old 05-03-17, 10:38 AM
Found the clips and the sheet.

Old 05-03-17, 02:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You must have a newer model, Sorry was busy this afternoon and just saw your post. A thin putty knife under the corners will push clip back.

Old 05-03-17, 03:40 PM
I'm in, and I have the sheet. It did not give any code for the thermistor in diagnostic mode. I am starting to think it is is a sketchy centrifugal force switch in the motor. I have to tear the machine apart to check, but it may account for the sporadic behavior. ~sigh~

Found my multimeter and the batteries leaked beyond repair. Gotta get a new one of those I guess....

Old 05-04-17, 01:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You don't need a expensive meter, A cheap one from Harbor freight or big box store will work for you.