Problems with oven igniter - DCS/Fisher Paykel RGU-366-N

Old 05-28-17, 05:28 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problems with oven igniter - DCS/Fisher Paykel RGU-366-N

I bought and replaced an oven igniter (glowbar type) as our oven was becoming increasing unreliable to start. The old igniter would glow "orange-red" but I was told it was supposed to be nearly "white-hot" to work properly. I purchased a supposedly "direct replacement" albeit it was not the exact original type. So about a month after getting it, I finally get up the nerves to replace it. I'm not sure of the exact sequence but, at some point after testing the new one and it not working (never glowed), I noticed that the "flame on" light ring wasn't even glowing. This goes from orange (when turned on) to red (when up to temp). The red light ring around the oven glows as it should.

I did attach a schematic and hope that someone can help me troubleshoot it. I read elsewhere that the glowbar is supposed to have "constant voltage" to it which doesn't seem correct (seems like it would be always on unless there's something that runs the neutral leg closed.

At this point, there seems to be a dead circuit on the temp control but I can't find it.

Thanks,
BB

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-17, 08:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,105 Votes on 1,025 Posts
Did you unplug the range when you replaced the igniter ?

It is very likely the neutral is switched to the igniter circuit. If that was the case and you shorted one of the igniter wires to ground.... you may have blown the valve coil open.
120v directly across the valve will render it dead.

I can't see your diagram with enough detail. The board limits the max file size and pic size.

I can PM you my email address where you can send a large picture to and I'll host it or you can put it on one of the free hosting sites and link it here. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 05-29-17, 07:16 AM
B
Hi, yes, it was definitely unplugged. Wow, I thought I could easily add the photo to "photobucket" (which I did) and then post it but I've just wasted half an hour after the image was still too large. You used to be able to "compress" photos in picture manager but I can't even find that (just lots of complaints on the internet!). So yes, please send me your email.

Thanks so much,
BB

Old 05-29-17, 09:43 AM
Group Moderator
In my tutorial it tells you to select one of the photobucket links. You don't have to resize anything. It's done for you. I sent my address in a PM.

Old 05-29-17, 11:09 AM
B
Sorry, my bad; I was using the "direct" link since that's what I use on another site. Here it is and thanks again for you help.

BB

Old 05-29-17, 11:16 AM
Group Moderator
That's better but I still can't get enough definition to read it.

Can you take a picture with your camera set to larger file size picture and post that.

Old 05-30-17, 06:13 PM
Group Moderator
Awesome picture you sent.

Heating selection

1 and 1A are oven selection
2 and 2A are broil selection
3 and 3A are convection fan
4 and 4A are convection cavity light
5 and 5B are convection active light

Gray and purple safety stats should be closed.
Gray is neutral to igniters. Purple is hot to oven control.
Brown ring is oven power controlled by temperature stat.
Pink is cycling heat thermostat. When this opens.... the orange indicator turns red.

I forgot to ask.... does convection work ? Does broil work ?

CLICK FOR LARGER PIC

Old 05-30-17, 06:37 PM
B
Thanks and no, no mode works at all. The "OVEN SEL ON" will light up on any mode but the "OVEN HEATING LIGHT ORANGE" never comes on (which, as I recall, would come on as soon as you basically turned the knob off of "OFF").

The circuit does make more sense to me but what's still confusing (to me) is the "series" wiring of "BAKE IGNITER" and "BAKE VALVE". I get that the igniter gets hot enough to open the valve (via some kind of "signal" but is it really just an inline switch as shown? I would have expected it to be some kind of relay or something.

Thanks for all your help!
BB

Old 05-30-17, 06:42 PM
Group Moderator
The ignition circuit is very basic. The oven uses a safety valve. It will only open when a certain amount of current..... around 3A...... is drawn thru it from the igniter. The valve does not work on 120v and that voltage across it will kill it.

Name:  OVEN IGNITER.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  9.6 KB

Old 05-30-17, 07:07 PM
B
Got it. So the fact that the orange light isn't even coming on is hopefully not a sign that the valve is bad? As I'm seeing it, I should be getting power on L1 (presumably good), through the high temp cutout, through the thermostat, through the oven selector switch (either Broil or Bake/Conv Bake), to the igniter (which should read 120 VAC to this point, if I'm checking without the igniter being hooked up) and then "through" the igniter which should send enough current to the valve, is that correct? I didn't get 120 VAC there the last time I measured it but I'm not sure I was measuring properly against neutral.

Thanks!
BB

Old 05-30-17, 07:34 PM
Group Moderator
Correct. No power or no neutral will cause your problem.

You need to confirm you have both to the circuit.

Old 05-30-17, 08:58 PM
B
Thanks! I will check it out, probably not until this weekend since it's a bit of chore to haul it out but your help is greatly appreciated.

BB

Old 06-02-17, 01:27 PM
B
Wow, what a chore! I traced the circuitry and all was good until I got to the "SFT" swtich which, if open, will not allow either broiler or oven flame to ignite. The problem is, the wiring goes up along the side panel and then behind the control knobs and, for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to get that panel off. There's two screws along the bottom and I pulled all the knobs but it's not even budging. Also, I can't find anything about the SFT in the repair manual.

Any suggestions on how to get the panel off and/or where the SFT is located?

Thanks!
BB

Old 06-02-17, 02:19 PM
Group Moderator
I don't have any access to that service manual. Since it senses oven temp I would expect it to be mounted somewhere to the outside of the oven cavity. Usually they are on the back... towards the top of the oven.

Old 06-02-17, 02:53 PM
B
Thanks, well I found out how to take off the "ledge" and all I could say was "wow" (disappointingly). An absolutely maze of wires and electronics. I give up, time to call a repairman!

Thanks for all your help but I just don't think I can tackle this any further.
BB

Old 06-02-17, 04:11 PM
Group Moderator
You're welcome.

I wish I could help further but they're pretty tight with their tech manuals.