Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

dryer left scorched marks

IL

09-11-17, 02:15 PM   #1 (permalink)  
dryer left scorched marks

I have Frigidaire dryer. Today it left black scorched marks on 1 item. I also see black burnt grill inside which may be a cause. How can i fix it?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NJ

09-11-17, 02:26 PM   #2 (permalink)  
You posted in the gas forum... is this a gas dryer ?
Can we assume the drum was turning ?
A model number can be very helpful.

Usually a lack of airflow can cause a problem like yours although scorching in a modern dryer is pretty rare. The first place to start is to make sure the exhaust line is clean to outside. Any blockage can cause issues.

~ Pete ~

Forum Topic Moderator

NC

09-11-17, 03:36 PM   #3 (permalink)  
Please post model # and if a gas or electric dryer. We will move to right forum. Frigidaire dryers have a problem with the felts wearing out and leaving streaks on clothes. Reach inside dryer and bottom front of drum if you can get your fingers in the gap between drun and front felts are most likely worn out.

IL

09-11-17, 03:44 PM   #4 (permalink)  
Yes it is gas dryer FAQG711LW0

IL

09-11-17, 07:52 PM   #5 (permalink)  
Front felts? Are you referring to felt seal? I dont know if there is more than 1.

IL

09-11-17, 08:01 PM   #6 (permalink)  
I opened dryer, found felt edge and i could easily put my fingers on the bottom and even pushed it a little. I will order felt seal. What about glue ? Does it come with glue? And what about burnt grill inside drum? Isit replaceable? What is cause?

Forum Topic Moderator

NC

09-11-17, 08:21 PM   #7 (permalink)  
There is a upper and lower felt seal, OEM seals came with glue don't know about aftermarket seals. When you take it apart seal will look rusted. I used a wire brush on a drill to get the old felt off. A little felt left is ok but let seal set in the glue 15 or so minutes or you will have to do it over.
All the grills I have seen look burnt don't worry about it. It does not rub off.
That must be a real old dryer I have never seen that dryer with 1 seal kit.When you get it apart check rollers for wear. Newer dryers ride on seal yours on the rollers. Here is a break down of dryer.
https://www.searspartsdirect.com/mod...8/0151200.html

IL

09-12-17, 07:00 AM   #8 (permalink)  
Upper and lower?
It is front loader so i have front and rear. I ordered both with glue. I dont know about rollers. I dont think it is that old. It is 5yrs old.

IL

09-12-17, 07:52 AM   #9 (permalink)  
Posted By: pugsl There is a upper and lower felt seal, OEM seals came with glue don't know about aftermarket seals. When you take it apart seal will look rusted. I used a wire brush on a drill to get the old felt off. A little felt left is ok but let seal set in the glue 15 or so minutes or you will have to do it over.
All the grills I have seen look burnt don't worry about it. It does not rub off.
That must be a real old dryer I have never seen that dryer with 1 seal kit.When you get it apart check rollers for wear. Newer dryers ride on seal yours on the rollers. Here is a break down of dryer.
https://www.searspartsdirect.com/mod...8/0151200.html
Now im thinking... If i really have to replace rollers... And i see 3 of them on chart. So it will be $120-200. Maybe i should but new dryer....

Group Moderator

NJ

09-12-17, 12:33 PM   #10 (permalink)  
If the dryer has been reliable..... fix it. If not....send it packing.
At least take it apart and check it out before scrapping it.

~ Pete ~

Forum Topic Moderator

NC

09-12-17, 05:36 PM   #11 (permalink)  
Sorry about old confused with another post. Retired before I took that dryer apart but it looks like a single felt around front. Rollers used to come as a set of 2 or 4 but can't find anything that tells me that.

IL

09-13-17, 07:16 AM   #12 (permalink)  
Posted By: PJmax If the dryer has been reliable..... fix it. If not....send it packing.
At least take it apart and check it out before scrapping it.
I decided to buy new one because $200 is too much just for parts. I fixed it just 2 months ago when i found bad fuse.
I dont know how toget rid of it? Leave it on curb?

Super Moderator

PA

09-13-17, 09:20 AM   #13 (permalink)  
If someone is delivering your new one, they usually take the old one. If not, it would depend on the laws of your city. They used to take it from the curb around here, but they no longer do. We can take it to one of their trash sites tho. If that's the case with you, you either need to call someone to haul it away or maybe you can take it to your city's trash site.

In our hearts, we all know that it's wrong to harm an animal and that we should take action to protect them -
Patrick McDonnell

Adopt a shelter pet!
Spay or neuter your pet!
Please don't leave pets or kids in a hot car!

Search this Thread