Jenn-Air/Maytag Gas Oven weak heating

Old 10-10-17, 10:14 AM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Jenn-Air/Maytag Gas Oven weak heating

Hi - I have a Maytag JGS8860BDP which is about 10 years old and the oven ignites but struggles to reach temperature. I have taken the bottom of the oven out and cleaned everything and checked that no holes in the burner are blocked. A few were, but I cleaned them and the performance isn't any different.

The other symptoms are that I get a smelt of gas escaping sometimes and when the main burner comes on (without the bottom of the oven and heat shield in place admittedly) it looks like the gas pressure is too high. Some of the flames, at the front of the burner, look like they are almost blowing out. To me that explains the faint gas smell. See attached picture.
The ignition sequence is:
0 secs Igniter glows bright yellow
70 secs Main burner ignites at high gas pressure with front orifices looking like they are blowing out
84 secs 14-15 seconds after ignition, Burner turns off.
180 secs 96 seconds after the burner turns off, burner re-ignites with low consistent flame. Enough to very slowly heat up the oven but have difficulty reaching 450F. Temperature creeps up.

In reading the good information here, the consensus seems to be the HSI could be weak and that I am on borrowed time with a 10 year old stove. It looks easy to replace and I have changed the ones on gas driers before.

Any other suggestions before I spring for a new igniter? The gas burners on the stove-top and the broiler burner work well. Same as when the stove was new.

Paul

Attached Images  
Old 10-10-17, 11:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,328 Upvotes on 2,987 Posts
Replacing the igniter should take care of the ignition problem. You should check the holes in the burner to make sure they aren't clogged shut with rust.

I see a broiler and a bake igniter but only one part number listed so that it would appear they both use the same part number. OEM # 74007498

Old 10-10-17, 01:51 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks Pete. The part number is on the plug and appears to be a generic part. A 501A type igniter part number 7432P106-60. Its about $30 so I have ordered one.

Paul

Old 10-10-17, 01:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,328 Upvotes on 2,987 Posts
Yes... it's a Norton 501A.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: