old Tappan Oven

Old 05-06-01, 05:00 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

My rental hose has an old Tappan oven. I could not get the model number because it's so old it must be rubbed off. I asked the landlord for over two months to fix the oven. He sent in a tech, and he replaced the gas valve. But the pilot is still not lit. The stove top pilots are lit and working good. The oven gas valve is not producing a "gas" smell. I was wandering how to relit the oven pilot. PLEASE HELP.

Old 05-06-01, 08:31 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello and Welcome Gairy to the Do It Yourself Web Site and posting a question in my Gas Appliance forum.

The pilot assembly will be located very close to the burner. The end of the pilot assembly is where you'll need to relight the pilot.

You may be referring to the burner only 'gas valve' or the 'pilot and a burner 'gas valve' when you say "gas valve." Therefore, my not knowing which one it is, I'll attempt to cover them both.

If it's a 'burner only gas valve,' it will have a red reset button on it. If it's a combo pilot and burner gas valve, there will not be any rest button.

If the stove/oven is as old as you think it is, it will have a red reset button on the burner only 'gas valve'. This button will have to be depressed. If the reset button is not pushed in after the pilot lights and is allowed to heat the safety element for at least a minute or two, the gas valve will not allow burner gas to flow when the thermostat is turned on.

The combo 'burner and pilot gas valve' has no red rest button to push in. It will be rectangular in shape, about 3/4 inches high and have a 1/4 inch aluminum coming out at the top left corner of it. On the right hand side of the valve, will be a tiny screw to adjust the pilot flames size.

These are the two common types of gas valves used on early model free standing stoves with lower ovens.

If your unable to get the pilot relighted, since you rent, contact the landlord and have his "tech" make a return visit and correctly fix and adjust the appliance.

Old 05-09-01, 08:52 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink Thanks for the help.

After reading your email, I went and took another look. At the very bottom is the gas delivery valve. About 10 inches above was a smaller gas line coming in. I held a match and the pilot lit. I tried to turn the oven on, and the pilot lighted towards the front of the oven onto a thermocoupler. The only problem was the oven didn't light. I turned the oven off and opened the main door. There I fould a very small and long thermocoupler caked with trash. I took some 120 grit sandpaper to it to knock off the trash and tried again. BINGO. The oven's fixed. I more than appreciate the advise that you gave me. It's hard to get my landlord to do anything, except ask for the rent money. Think it's time to move. Thanks again for your help.

Old 05-09-01, 09:46 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello: gairy

What you found inside the main oven compartment was not a thermocouple but a capillary tube. The capillary tube is connected to the thermostat and used to sense the ovens internal temperature.

However, if whatever you did worked, that's fine...
Glad you got your oven working.

Now lets hope the capillary tube can sense and hold the correct temperature you select on the temperature selection knob.

Regards,
Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: