Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Propane oven won't go to temp.

NY

10-30-17, 07:15 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Propane oven won't go to temp.

Hi We didn't use our propane oven during the summer. Started it the other day but the oven won't go to the set temperature. I have plenty of gas so that's not the issue. I looked at the burner and the glow plug is lite. Oven gets to approx. 200 degrees and that's it. Maybe unrelated but I also noticed a faint smell of gas when the oven is off. Any ideas what might be caising the problem?

TIA

Tim

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NJ

10-30-17, 08:03 PM   #2 (permalink)  
Does the burner remain lit but it just won't get any hotter or does the burner shut off at 200 degrees ?
If the burner stays lit..... then you need a new igniter. The igniter is in series with the safety gas valve. If it doesn't glow white hot.... the gas valve does not open fully and the burner doesn't run hot enough. Usually you will also smell gas when this happens.

~ Pete ~

NY

10-31-17, 04:52 AM   #3 (permalink)  
Thanks Pjmax. Yes the burner stays lit I igniter glows orange, so I assume that's not hot enough.

Group Moderator

NC

10-31-17, 06:11 AM   #4 (permalink)  
It's sort of a wear item so igniters need to be replaced occasionally.

NY

11-14-17, 05:52 PM   #5 (permalink)  
Ok replaced igniter, oven won't even light now. Its getting gas, I can smell it. Igniter is glowing.

Group Moderator

NJ

11-14-17, 08:53 PM   #6 (permalink)  
Is the igniter glowing bright yellow to white hot hot ?
Just a hint of gas or a lot of gas ?
If the valve is opening properly and you aren't getting ignition...... check the little holes in the burner near the igniter. The raw gas needs to flow to the igniter for ignition.

The oven heating system is very basic. Just a series loop. When the igniter reaches white hot.... it draws enough current to open the gas safety valve. If it doesn't draw enough current the valve won't fully open. I use a clamp on ampmeter on one of the wires to determine the loop current. It should measure between 3.2A and 3.6A if it's the flat type.

Name:  OVEN IGNITER.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  10.5 KB

~ Pete ~

NY

11-15-17, 02:06 AM   #7 (permalink)  
Thanks for the reply pjmax. Igniter glows light shade of orange. I did not damage it putting it in. What are the odds of getting a defective igniter?

Group Moderator

NJ

11-15-17, 11:13 AM   #8 (permalink)  
The odds are good of getting a defective igniter. I usually carry several spares. Easiest way to confirm a problem is using a clamp on amp meter. Maybe a friend has one you can borrow.

~ Pete ~

NY

11-16-17, 04:00 PM   #9 (permalink)  
Whe you say flat type igniter do you mean the coil is flat ir the wire in the coil is flat but still in a circular coil.

Group Moderator

NJ

11-16-17, 06:49 PM   #10 (permalink)  
There are two styles of igniter.... the flat Norton type or the round Carborundum type.

~ Pete ~

NY

11-17-17, 03:15 AM   #11 (permalink)  
Mine is a round coil. I think the gas valve is bad. I don't see it for purchase anywhere on line. Due to cost calling a service tech at this point doesn't make sense. I'll just just buy a new stove. The stove is pretty old. Doesn't owe us a cent.

PA

11-17-17, 03:35 AM   #12 (permalink)  
Has this oven always been propane or was it converted from natural gas to propane? Usually, if the oven will not go to temperature, the gas supply usually is not adequate. Give a better explanation of the history of the oven and what you have done so far.

NY

11-17-17, 04:05 AM   #13 (permalink)  
Its always been propane. We've had it for ~ 25 years. LOL It's been trouble free all these years. I replaced to igniter in 2010. It wasn't used all Summer since we grill a lot. Went to use it a few weeks ago and oven would only go to ~ 200 degrees. Top burners work fine. I though maybe a spider web in burner tube but getting it apart in our small kitchen is difficult.

Steamboy your post got me thinking regarding buying a new oven. Right now there is a 3/8" ID LP gas supply line. Will that be big enough for a new stove? I remember a few years back I tried to install a new LP water heater at my mother's house. It would not burn right. Called in a tech. He said the 3/8" LP supply line wasn't big enough. Could that happen with a new oven?

Search this Thread