Dryer only heats in fixed time mode

Old 11-23-17, 10:08 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Question Dryer only heats in fixed time mode

My Kenmore dryer, model 110.76922501 heats and drys clothes just fine, as long as I don’t use the tempature sensing mode. If I used the fixed time settings, works just fine. I noticed on the Sears.com website that there are three set of sensors for tempature and I was wondering if anyone had an idea which one it is likely to be.

The sensors are:

1. dryer operating thermostat
2. dryer high-limit safety thermostat
3. dryer thermistor

I hope it is one of these and thank you for the help:

Steve

Old 11-23-17, 10:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Those sensors work to control heat. The automatic setting usually lengthens or shortens the cycle as it senses moisture across the moisture sensing tabs on the back of the dryer.

What happens when you use auto mode.
Timer counts down but no heating ?

Old 11-23-17, 12:48 PM
S
I don’t think we’re getting heat in auto mode. The dryer runs and finally turns off, but the clothes are not dry; very damp. If I use the time dry feature, I’ve got heat and clothes dry completely.

Old 11-23-17, 01:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
First find out if heating in auto mode. Let run empty for a couple of minutes and open door . Should be hot in there, If hot than clean vent to the outside.Vent problems are the most common problem with dryers, Check to see that the vent is not pinched behind dryer.

Old 11-24-17, 06:45 PM
S
Ok, so I did a 10 minute test, first one on auto and second one using the time drying function. After 10 minutes on auto, the air was Luke-warm. Same test on timed and the air was very hot.

Does that point to one or more of the sensors?

Old 11-25-17, 02:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Open console (Thin putty knife on each corner, push a spring clip back and lift top) there is a tech sheet in there do the tests. Is this a gas dryer? o the auto test with a cold dryer. Does the flame cycle on fast after it heats up. Should be a couple of minutes between cycles with empty dryer, If cycles fast usually clogged vent.

Old 11-25-17, 06:26 AM
S
So your saying, a clogged vent will not effect the dryer if you use the time cycle feature? I forgot to mention, I did the tests with a 10 minute, open door rest period, to get the drum back to ambient temp. I will check the dryer vent to ensure it is not clogged and rerun the test. I’m not sure I completely understand the directions to do the tests. This is a gas dryer. I’ll let you know next week; I’m going out of town. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-25-17, 06:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A clogged vent will effect the way works, Weather it will work different in timed or auto could depend on sensor. Easy way to check vent is disconnect vent at back of dryer , feel air flow reconnect vent and go outside and fell air flow. Should be the same. I harp on vents a lot as they cause most dryer problems.

Old 11-29-17, 07:46 AM
S
Ok, so I removed the vent hose and it was very clean. I also checked the vent to the outside and it was also clean. I ran the burner test, seeing if the burner only lights for a shorter period on Auto than it does on the Timed dry feature, and the difference was within one second, so that that didn’t provide any info.

So, what do I do next? In likely order, what could it be? The heat sensors, thermistor or moisture sensor? I couldn’t find anything on-line that led to a conclusion at repairclinic.com or another site I can’t remember name. Any help is appreciated.

Old 11-29-17, 11:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I looked at the part list for your dryer and find no thermistor listed and where they mount only shows a thermal fuse and thermostat. One of the things I have heard is clean the moisture sensors with alcohol Or some cleaning fluid. Not oily, Build up can cause sensor to not detect wet clothes. Sensors are inside on lint screen. Yours is not a common problem.

Old 11-29-17, 09:52 PM
S
Ok, so I cleaned the moisture sensor using the fine sand paper and polishing process I found at the Maytag website. It worked; is drying fine using the automatic process. Thanks for the help, it cost me almost nothing to fix it.

Old 11-30-17, 01:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
i HAVE ONLY RUN INTO THAT A FEW TIMES, sORRY i DID NOT THINK OF THAT SOONER. (Dam cap lock key)

Old 12-01-17, 12:44 PM
S
I think i know why in this case, it was the moisture sensor. According to the Maytag website, the sensors loses its ability to measure the electrical conductivity across the surface of the clothes as they tumble across the surface of the sensors once the sensors have been coated with grim, softener products added to the washing machine or dryer sheets. I purchased this home recently and it came with the washer and dryer. It also came with the products left by the previous owners, and if the products are any indicator, they loved to add at least 2 products Gothenburg wash cycle to soften, etc the clothes. Also, this was a vacation home, so it got irregular use. I think both of those unusual factors contributed to the buildup on the sensor.

You would think a more typical, daily/weekly use of the dryer, would inhibit that buildup. Irregular use and too many additives were the likely culpeit; makes it more unlikely issue in the future since those factors no longer apply.

Old 12-01-17, 02:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Before I retired I would run a damp cloth over the sensors for that reason. Very seldom ran into your problem tho.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: