Gas stove - help!

Old 12-20-17, 01:01 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas stove - help!

I smelled gas around my 1989 gas stove multiple times & called NYSEG. On their 4th trip they apparently found a small leak & red-tagged my stove, disconnecting it.
I called a recommended appliance person who came & said he could cap that burner & I could use the rest after he reconnects. He unscrewed a part from there. He was supposed to come back yesterday but had emergency. Got in touch today & told he's looking for the part...
It's an O'Keef & Merrit (Tappan) stove model : 30-7348-00 & I would replace any part that would make it work if this cap thing can't be found to shut off just that burner... Anybody know anything about these?
I found an online appliance parts store & the guy looked up "cap" when I said the appliance person wanted to "cap" it but found a diagram & "cap" isn't one of the parts listed (tho many are out of stock). Here's the link - would any of these help??? (You have to scroll down to see the part names & there are no pictures of any of them):
https://www.easyapplianceparts.com/M...e=Range&Mark=4 (I don't see "cap" in the list of parts - available or (mostly) not. ALSO, I have an OLD link to their site that includes a diagram w/numbered parts (but can't figure out how to get to a page that names the parts or tells the prices: https://www.easyapplianceparts.com/M...e=Range&Mark=3

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-17, 04:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,112 Votes on 1,032 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A "cap" is not a part that you will find listed in the parts list. The burner valves are connected to a manifold. I'm guessing he's trying to disconnect a burner valve and put a brass plug in the manifold. That would have to be a part matched strictly by sight.

Old 12-25-17, 10:53 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your reply.
The guy took a piece off my stove & didn't call or come back & I called & called & finally got his wife who said he had an emergency that day, next day said he was having trouble finding the part, & then no more responses, so I started looking for another stove & hit a big snag - noticed the Home Depot installation says you need a 3-hole plug & my stove is plugged into a two hole w/an adapter (so have someone scheduled who hopefully can update it to 3-hole Tues -- what worries me is only half the thing in the wall is an outlet - the other half is a light switch (that I never use). Today noticed ALL THE OTHER PLUGS are 3 hole! There's one on that wall but it's to the right of the stove (which is centered under a range hood) and the cord comes out the left of the stove and doesn't reach. Not eager to swap stove & cabinet between stove & refrig because range hood would be over wrong thing...
She called 12/24 to say he thinks he found the part; I said I'd started looking for another stove since they didn't get back to me. She asked was I going to be home all day. I asked did he have in stock the part for my dryer as he thought he did - my (old too) dryer takes A LOT of runs to dry & he ruled out vent (told him just cleaned it) then opened a little door in the bottom & thought the heat wasn't on long enough & some part needed to be replaced. She said she'd call him & get back to me; never did.
Sorry to be so lengthy but: Does anybody know if it's standard for plug to come out LEFT side of appliances like stoves? Re dryer: I'd like to rule out my WASHER being the problem. When I take out washed clothes they seem pretty wet to me & maybe that could be fouling up my dryer time???

Old 12-25-17, 10:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,112 Votes on 1,032 Posts
There is no power cord standard for appliances. It can come out on either side. Actually the same for the gas connection. That is usually on the bottom right as looking at if from the front BUT that too can be on either side.

The clothes will stay wetter in the permanent press wash cycle. They will come out dryer in the regular wash cycle.