Wedgewood Oven won't light, but pilot light is functioning normally

Old 02-16-18, 10:27 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wedgewood Oven won't light, but pilot light is functioning normally

My wedgewood oven stopped working after I moved it a few inches from the wall (to clean) and then pushed it back - not sure if the moving shook something loose, or if it was just coincidence.
I've had this happen one other time (after my building's gas had been turned off and then on again). Last time, I just pressed and held the reset (red) button in the warming oven (at left) and the oven fired right up. This time, no dice.
From what I've read around the internet, it sounds like my problem is either the thermostat (which I had replaced by a professional not too many years ago) or the secondary pilot light (secondary flame that heats up the tube that allows gas to flow into the main burner and ignite). I apologize if I'm using the wrong terms for these things.
Before I call a stove repair person, I wanted to check with this forum to see if there is a way to blow out or clean out that tube (if I can find it) or any other tricks I can try myself. I hate calling someone only to have them knock on something or blow on something and then tell me its fixed and charge me $300.
I don't have photos, but my stove is the standard 4 burner type (griddle in middle) with a small oven at right and warming oven at left. No clock.
Also, does anyone out there know of a site or resource for getting owners manuals for these old stoves? I'd love to see a diagram of the inside of my oven so I can try troubleshooting this type of problem.
Thanks in advanceA!

Old 02-16-18, 05:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Those stoves are from before my time. You won't find many technicians to even work on them.

Does the pilot look normal sized ?
Does anything happen when you turn the thermostat on ?

There are a few places online that cater to stove collecting and information exchange.
Antique Stoves, Vintage Stoves and Old Stoves
Antique Stoves, Wood Cook Stoves, Kitchen Queen Stoves

Old 09-05-18, 11:45 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I have somewhat of the same problem.

I am new to this site, having just registered. I am a widow and looking for help or information I can pass on for someone who might help me. My stove goes back to the 1930s, Wedgewood with wood burner on the left, 4 burners with griddle in the middle, one oven with broiler below. To the left of oven is the wood burning box and below that is a storage drawer where 'the button' is. My stove has a black, not red, button. I was told by my mother, who bought the stove in the late 30's,that for the pilot light to stay lit after lighting, to press and release the button. That's it. It worked so never questioned it. about 5 years ago I had the a gentleman who's main interest was the older stoves check and adjust and gave it a clean bill of 'use', saying it was in great condition. Now, the oven will not light but the pilot light does and all burners on top are fine. I discovered that if I turn the oven on, nothing happens but if I press the button, you hear the gas and the oven lights and stays lit as long as you hold the button in. When you release it, the oven goes out. Over and over, holding the button a little longer, thinking that would help, it goes out when button released. I LOVE my stove, as did my mother. It has been in continuous use since she purchased it with a short period of storage many years ago. I hope someone can help. I have holiday dinners here every year for the family and love that it's a family tradition with the ole Wedgewood. By the way, I do not use the wood burner, sorry to say, but I do remember growing up we did use it! Help...….please.

Old 09-05-18, 07:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That button is part of the gas safety valve. It needs to see the flame and then it locks in place. On a more modern stove it would be called a thermocouple system. Check into the links I left previously. Unfortunately this is not really a DIY repair. Here's a link to what I'm talking about. The hard part is getting someone to do the actual work.
ANTIQUE STOVE SAFETY VALVES and Thermocouples

There are some old time gas techs that stop by but I'm not sure they can help online.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: