20lb propane tank expiry

Old 04-30-18, 11:48 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
20lb propane tank expiry

Hello,

The previous owners of our home left behind their bbq and propane tank. Iíve never had a problem checking the manufacturing date of the tanks. They expire or need to be rebuilt every 10 years where I live. This tank is cleared stamped with 09 95. It is also stamped in another location with the words ďretestĒ. But I donít see any newer dates being stamped on it. The tank looks to be in good condition so I assume it was rebuilt recently.

Iíve always bought new tanks. I assume the tank exchange programs that are common now, are all using rebuilt tanks.

Does anyone know for certain what is stamped on the handle when a tank is rebuilt?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-18, 12:42 PM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I have three of those 20 LB tanks that I've been juggling for a couple decades.I think you'll find that Federal Regulations apply, regardless of where you live (in the US) but they may be interpreted a little differently depending on the Vendor. The service period for new tanks was recently reduced from 12 years down to only 10 years; and that's using the HORIZONTAL date stamp on the handle.

Here's a link to what I think are the current regs:

DOT cylinder requalification rule to impact propane marketers : LP Gas

They don't actually rebuild them, just RE-TEST. I recently went through this process with a 12 year old tank (2004) and it was simply replaced with a $15.95 used "but full" tank originally manufactured in 2006; but re-tested in 2017 . . . . and now stamped VERTICALLY with the date 06-2017; but it's now my understanding that this tank is now good for re-fill only for five (5) years from the 06-2017 date, or until 06-2022.

The Regs say that tanks can be re-certified for 10 years IF they are tested using a "proof pressure test" up from from seven years"; but the 5 years visual examination is what I was told they use here. No one here knew what the requirements of the "proof pressure test" would be.

As a humorous note, I recently went to get a tank of mine simply refilled for $9.00, and the Vendor said that a Lady had just left with an older tank she had recently gotten in exchange for her brand new one . . . . but he was prohibited from re-filling the tank she had received in the exchange that had occurred elsewhere because someone had given her a 15 year old over-the-hill tank.

It's confusing to say the least . . . . not all tanks are equal !

Last edited by Vermont; 04-30-18 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Fixed URL of Link
Old 04-30-18, 02:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 931 Votes on 868 Posts
but it's my understanding that this tank is now only is good for re-fill for five (5) years from the 06-2017 date, or until 06-2022.
Yes..... that is correct.