Fixing Wheels on Grill?

Old 07-29-18, 09:04 PM
O
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Fixing Wheels on Grill?

Hi All,

My about-6-year-old Kenmore grill (model No. 415.16135110) has 4 wheels. Unfortunately, the two wheels in the back are not working as they should. Basically, those two wheels are each screwed into some small boxy metal piece which is somehow attached to the underside of the bottom shelf. Those small boxy metal things are now starting to break. I've attached two pictures, one being a view of the grill as I have laid it on its back and you can see the bottom with all four wheels, and the second being a closeup of the wheel in the bottom left of the picture (i.e., the rear left wheel when its upright). You should be able to see where its breaking off.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

I would replace the entire bottom shelf (to which the small boxy metal pieces are attached), but its apparently out of stock everywhere and not being made anymore. (Bottom shelf part No. G524-0600-w1).

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Attached Images   
Old 07-29-18, 09:20 PM
Received 488 Votes on 452 Posts
Looks like some spot welds have rusted through.

If welding is not available I'd consider removing the castors and cut a piece of plywood to fit and attach new casters to the plywood!

Old 07-30-18, 01:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
.I would do as Marq1 said. Here is a page of different castors. If grill is in good shape get some good ones.
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_8509234b5y_e

Old 07-30-18, 04:50 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 857 Votes on 790 Posts
Your castor mount has broken free. If you don't have access to a welder you can drill and screw or bolt the bracket back in place. Better even would be to knock all those cheap casters off and replace them with larger diameter, higher quality ones. Many are available with a flat mounting base that you could bolt right to the bottom of the grill.

Old 07-30-18, 05:34 AM
A
Received 72 Votes on 65 Posts
I agree with the others, but for something like that, meaning relatively light weight and not continuous use, and unless you want to go with larger wheels, I would get a dolly from Harbor Freight and cut it to size, add a little blocking, or whatever is needed to make it fit the grill. I did just that for a few things I wanted to get on wheels in the shop, caught them on sale, and think I paid $7.99 a piece something like that for a couple of them.

Old 07-30-18, 06:06 AM
O
Thanks to everyone for the advice.

I'm confused as to one point, though - how do I attach the plywood to the grill? Am I misunderstanding where to put it? I get that I put the new casters into the plywood, but then I'm lost past that.

For Pilot Dane - the casters with flat mounting bottoms - I still would need to get past the lip of the grill on the side. You can see it best in the close-up photo - its kind of curved inward now because its been banged against the ground so much (because of wheels breaking). Do you mean to get flat mounting bottoms that have a few inches of thickness, or did you mean to attach them to the grill some other way?

Also, the grill bottom shelf (i.e., the part with all the webs, etc.!) is just thin sheet metal. What's the best way to bolt things to it?

AKA Pedro - how would you attach the dolly to the grill?

Thanks again, all, for the advice.

Old 07-30-18, 01:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Cut the plywood to fit where the cobwebs are. drill a few holes in bottom of grill and screw plywood to it. put wheels on plywood first and syand grill back up on plywood with wheels and open doors and screw grill to plywood.

Old 07-30-18, 07:25 PM
O
Hi Pugsl,

Thanks for the advice, and I think that's the way I'm going to go.

Just to make sure I understand the order of things:
1. cut plywood to fit cob-webby area (I'm thinking maybe about 1/2" short in each dimension so that it fits with no problem - good/bad idea?);
2. bolt casters to plywood;
3. drill several holes in bottom of grill;
4. place grill upright onto plywood;
5. connect grill to plywood via screws through the holes drilled in step 3;
6. convince wife to let me buy some too-expensive steaks to celebrate good-as-new grill.

Assuming that's all right, can anyone recommend the right kind of screw to connect the sheet metal grill to the plywood? I won't be able to drill pilot holes in the plywood because I won't be able to measure and line them up exactly with the holes I'll drill in the bottom of the grill. Are there any screws meant to go through sheet metal directly into unpiloted (drone...?) plywood?

I'm thinking I would use maybe a dozen screws to connect the sheet metal to the plywood, just to make sure I don't have to do anything like this again. Is that enough/too many?

Also, how thick plywood? Does it really matter if I get 1/2" or 3/4"? Would this work: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sanded-P...2014/202089017 ?

And would these casters fit the bill: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y49D2J2 ?

Thanks again, all!

Old 07-30-18, 07:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,476 Votes on 1,364 Posts
Drill 3/16" holes thru the metal first with no wood attached. 6-8 1"x#10 sheet metal screws will do it.
Use 3/4" plywood.
You can get all the stuff at depot. They have wheels too.

Make my steak medium.

Old 07-30-18, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Why not just pop-rivet the box thing back in place?

Bend it back, clamp it, drill it, pop, pop done. If you have or could borrow the tool (or buy...cause this project deserves a new tool), prob less than $5 for a box of rivets and washers if needed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: