Gas dryer not heating

Old 08-18-18, 02:14 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas dryer not heating

I have an Estate gas dryer that has been heating intermittently the last 2 weeks. All visible lint from vents are cleaned. I have checked all thermostat/thermistor and all are good. I have also tested the timer switch and verified according to schematic that it is operational. I have looked in small peep hole for igniter coming on and after a few seconds the flame inside the burner. But after a few minutes, the flame dies.

Today I replaced the 2 gas coils and turned on the dryer. I noticed from the peep hole that the flames will come on but goes out after a few minutes. Then the ignter will come on and fire the burner. This off and on will repeat a few times during its cycle. It does this on Timed Dry or Auto Sense settings.

Before I wash a load of laundry, can someone tell me if this off and on cycle is normal or should I buy another dryer.

Old 08-18-18, 02:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Burner cycling is normal BUT it should stay lit until the dryer gets up to temperature. This could be from several minutes to 10 minutes or more based on the load. The burner should stay lit until the exhaust pipe gets fairly warm but not hot.

Your problem is the classic low exhaust flow issue. It's not enough to just clean the ends....., the entire line from one end to the other needs to be cleaned. If you are quite sure the line is clean...... disconnect it from the back of the dryer and see if the burner stays lit longer now.

Old 08-18-18, 04:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Temperature at vent should be between 150 and 165. Thermometer Should be in vent to measure. When temp reaches right temp. flame will go out and will relight someplace between 100 and 120. Don't worry if cycles a little out of low side.

Old 08-20-18, 07:39 AM
A
This morning I washed my first load since changing the coils. But before using the dryer, I turned it on for a drying cycle. Burner still goes on and off.

I then tried it with a load of laundry and monitored the peep hole. The burner is now firing for the last 15min.

Is it possible that when I was testing the dryer with the new coils and NO LOAD of laundry that it was heating too much, that the burner was shutting down when temperature was reached?

Old 08-20-18, 09:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
The unit cycles based on the temperature sensed at the exhaust. If the dryer is empty it heats up fast. When the dryer is full of clothes.... it takes much longer to come up to heat. Sounds like normal operation to me.

Old 08-20-18, 12:07 PM
A
Three loads of laundry and the dryer still working. Thanks for the help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: