Kenmore oven not lighting

Old 05-20-01, 02:00 PM
Visiting Guest
It is a Kenmore, model #31189. I press the Bake button and turn the Temp control knob to, say, 400. In about 2 seconds the Temp display goes back to 100 and the oven does not light. The igniter glows and the glow gets brighter momentarily. There is no smell or sounds of increased gas flow. My thought is that the Control Valve is bad.

Old 05-20-01, 04:31 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello and Welcome M. Marks to the Do It Yourself Web Site and thanks for posting a question in my Gas Appliance forum.

When you say the glow coil "gets bright momentarily," I have to wonder what you mean by that. Does it go out totally? If so, then the comdition may mean the coil is okay but another electrical part or system is defective.

The gas control valve to the burner will not turn off the glow coil, even if the burner fails to light up. The coil will remain on but nothing else happens.

The thermostat controls electrical flow to the coil and often has other optional controls connected inline to the glow coil. Anyone of them could be the direct or indirect cause of the problem.

If the coil doesn't glow for more then a few seconds, as I gather from the discription you posted, have it tested at the local appliance parts store. This is the easiest part to replace and often times the least timely to install.

Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: