gas water heater

Old 05-21-01, 04:18 PM
Visiting Guest
8 yr gas water heater appears to be leaking at bottom seam. can i replace myself, or does this require professional. also any brands to recomend or avoid.....

Old 05-21-01, 07:03 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You might want to check the posts in the Plumbing Forum for similar problems, or click on the little globe above (search) and search for "water heater problems". This topic has been discussed thoroughly in recent posts.

[Edited by arkayassoc on 05-21-01 at 11:35]

Old 05-21-01, 07:43 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello and Welcome krlykat to the Do It Yourself Web Site and thanks for posting a question in my Gas Appliance forum.

Replacing a water heater isn't all that difficult if you have some help and a few common shop and garage hand tools.

If your going to purchase a replacement and install it yourself, any tank size of equal water capacity will do fine. All new water heaters have the energy efficiency label attached. About the only buying concern is the warranty coverage.

One safety reminder, there are two different tank heights in residential size water heaters but each will still be the same gallon tank capacity. All residential water heaters have the same size built in flue size.

Just be sure the existing exhaust flue vent installs on the new tank, exactly as it does on the old tank. This will help to insure all the fumes exit up the vent.

If there is any doubt about the completed installation, contact your local gas supplier and request they safety check it and do the initial light up.

Many gas utilities offer this as a free service and a way to avoid gas leaks and carbon monoxide poisonings.

Regards & Good Luck
Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: