Reorienting (or otherwise altering) a gas range hookup

Old 11-13-18, 08:20 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Reorienting (or otherwise altering) a gas range hookup

I've purchased a new slide-in electric range but have a problem. It can't be flush with the wall (which pretty much defeats the point of being a slide in) because I have an existing gas hookup that's in the way. I don't want to get rid of it, since it'll probably be nice to have for resale, but I would really like for it to not be in the way. It seems like it wouldn't be that big of a deal to reorient it so it's facing to the side, but I know nothing about working with gas. Is there any way of making this happen that would be reasonably safe for someone starting with no experience in this area? If not, any thoughts on what I'd be looking at paying to have it done by a professional?

Also, sorry if this is posted in the the wrong area. This one seemed like the most applicable.

Name:  g1.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  24.0 KB

Name:  g2.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  78.4 KB

Name:  g3.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  72.8 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 11-13-18 at 11:28 AM. Reason: reoriented and added labeled pic
Old 11-13-18, 08:36 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 861 Votes on 794 Posts
I would turn off the gas to the home at the meter outside. If you have a water heater or anything with a standing pilot light wait until the pilot light goes out. That will tell you that most of the gas in the piping has been used. Next remove the yellow flexible CSST hose/pipe, shutoff valve, and maybe the pipe nipple. Leave the elbow fitting in place and DO NOT unscrew it. Then apply pipe dope to the thread of a pipe plug and screw it securely into the elbow fitting to cap off the gas line. Turn the gas back on to the house. Then apply children's bubble soap to the plug to check for leaks. If you see bubbles appear there is a leak and you should tighten the plug a bit more.

Old 11-22-18, 07:54 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks! That worked great.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: