Gas cooktop keeps clicking after lit

Old 12-04-18, 09:20 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas cooktop keeps clicking after lit

My gas cook top, Jenn Air JGD3536BS00 the individual burners keep clicking after they turn on. Interesting thing, turning on all the burners stops the clicking but who wants to cook with all burners on? Question, is this the module the switch or are both an issue? Also the front burners are on one switch parallel wire harness and the back 3 burners are on a separate parallel harness. Turning on all burners associated with each switch bank stops the clicking. Also one burner works correctly on the back.
Any Ideas?

Old 12-04-18, 08:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Not much service help available for Jenn-Air. There is a tech sheet somewhere inside the unit that describes operation and includes wiring diagrams. I don't have yours and could not find it online.
Tech sheet - Maytag - W10222824

That's five burners and it looks like the spark module is grouped into three sections. It's a costly part which means it may be a full re-ignition module. That means the module senses the flame and shuts off the igniter. If the flame goes out it will reignite automatically. Your owners manual will talk about the re-ignition feature.

This feature works by the spark/electrode actually being in the flame. The flame creates a circuit from the electrode to the burner (ground). If the electrodes are dirty or gummed up.... they will not sense properly. If they are wet.... they won't sense properly. The diagram shows what they look like and where it is.

Name:  jenn.jpg
Views: 1050
Size:  36.9 KB

Sears part direct - exploded parts views

Old 12-05-18, 06:50 AM
B
Thank you for the information. I will look closer at the electrodes. I did pull one out that looked bad but it was not cracked. I ordered a new switch harness and will see if that fixes the problem.
If I turn on one burner in the front it will continue to click but turn on both front burners and the clicking stops. Wonder if the sensor is not sensing enough flame until both are on? The 2 front burners are on one switch circuit. The back are on a separate circuit.

Old 12-05-18, 12:22 PM
T
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
This happens with my parent's stove on occasion. They typically just give the sparker a good cleaning and the issue is resolved. Maybe a first step?

Old 12-10-18, 01:54 PM
B
Fixed
New spark module.

Works perfect.

Old 12-10-18, 09:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Good job. Thanks for letting us know how you made out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: