Odor from New GE Gas Range

Old 12-25-18, 04:51 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Odor from New GE Gas Range

The odor only occurs during the warm up cycle on the oven. Once at steady state it seems normal. My daughter says it makes her eyes burn. I stuck my face in the oven exhaust area after igniting and have to agree. The over burner lights very quickly when turned on. The odor could be ethyl mercaptan, but it seems a little off. This range has been in service since Sept.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-18, 03:21 AM
Received 29 Votes on 25 Posts
Explain "warm up cycle" versus "steady state". My guess is ignition is not occurring soon enough after the gas valve opens.

Old 12-26-18, 05:10 AM
By warm up, I was referring to the time between hitting the start button to the oven reaching the set temp. The burner is igniting immediately on a cold start. The odor is occurring when the oven burner is lit. That is what confuses me; how could I be getting an unburned gas smell with the burner lit? I am not positive that the smell is gas. Once the oven reaches the preset, the periodic burner cycling to maintain temp does not produce the odor.

Old 12-26-18, 09:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 344 Votes on 322 Posts
As the oven gets older and the igniter gets weaker.... the actual ignition takes longer. I wouldn't expect the igniter to be weak in only a few months. It doesn't sound like your oven has a problem. I do smell mine when it first lights too.

Do you have an exhaust hood over it ? That would help remove the fumes.

Old 12-27-18, 04:22 PM
Thanks

Non exhausted hood, so I'll just assume nothing is wrong. Other than the odor it is working great.

Old 12-27-18, 05:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Does it smell like gas? New heating appliances often give off a smell the first time they are used, but I would expect it would be gone after the first use or two. Are you sure you remove all of the packing material?

Old 12-28-18, 07:27 AM
I don't think it smells like gas, but wife and daughter do. It does cause some eye irritation. I can't see or imagine packing material after 3 months.

Old 12-28-18, 11:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 344 Votes on 322 Posts
It's partially burned gas fumes where the gas burner has not fully lit and heated.
After the first time the oven fires.... each time it's used.... it should be gone.